Thursday, December 16, 2021

Out for the Hollandaise

I wasn't sure if I should do it.

Two weeks ago, I planned a Christmas breakfast, for yesterday, with the photography boys — Nick (centre) and Bob (right).

Since then, Omicron has been exploding. The provincial case count seems to be doubling every three days. And while hospitalizations aren't over the top, they are not negligible either.

I recalled that, due to COVID, I cancelled coffee with them last year at this time, so I was reluctant to do it again. Therefore, I went ahead with it. However, Sue and I also determined that this would be my/our last coffee/restaurant visit until the New Year. By then, the booster will have kicked in (we will get our boosters on Sunday), and our resistance to Omicron will rise from about 30% (tops) to ~85%.

We showed our passes and sat by ourselves in an uncrowded restaurant, which by rights should not have been uncrowded because it was an absolutely yummy breakfast. I had eggs Benedict with hollandaise sauce on an English muffin with fried tomato and crispy bacon in between the two and goat cheese on top. It, along the the home fries, came piping hot and perfectly cooked. Yum.

So we have two thumbs up. Maybe Nick wasn't as impressed with his Western, but Bob loved his crispy French toast and vowed to return soon with his wife.

Although this self-imposed limitation means that Sue and I will forego the Christmas visit to the sugar bush restaurant that we had planned, this breakfast was a pretty good last hurrah — for me anyway, and Sue enjoyed her visit to the same place not long ago.

With Shauna's birthday, and Christmas and New Years approaching, we will likely be provided for well enough in our safe environments until we can get out again.

Having had that breakfast out, however, I won't be able to say that I was home for the hollandaise, for indeed, I most most decidedly out for the hollandaise.

19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

How nice to meet with friends in person. With rising COVID Omicron cases, I am getting very nervous about any inperson last minute food shopping - I'm moving back to 100% curbside pick up & thankfully come Monday the Booster Jab is open to anyone 18+

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While the rise in reported cases is unsettling, it is good that you were able to meet with friends after last year’s cancellation. Yeah to you both on your scheduled booster appointments as well. Enjoy your holiday time with family as we will be doing as well.

Boud said...

Good to seize the day! We do need that social time. The good news is that the booster is very protective.

Barbara Rogers said...

Little did we know 3 years ago, that breakfast out with friends would become such a dangerous treat, to have to consider safety from those invisible and deadly virus particles moving through any air shared by our breaths. Glad you have your last hurrah for the year! And double glad (or maybe triple) for boosters!

Jenn Jilks said...

Groaners! I often read your puns to JB!

We haven't eating inside a restaurant in two years. On the patio in summer I felt safe. I'm not sure about seeing the kids, either. They have a busy household.

PipeTobacco said...

I ate for the first time in a restaurant three weeks ago. A friend of the family was in town and we wanted to visit with her. It did feel uncomfortable regarding Covid even though it was wonderful to talk with her. I am glad that it appears we made it through the risk period afterwards without problems, but my wife and I are not thinking of doing an indoor restaurant again anytime in the near future. It was quite stressful.

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous blog

Ed said...

Fortunately, I dislike going out this time of year anyway so imposing isolation is not very hard. But come spring when I start desiring to get out more again, I hope all this is past us... again.

Marcia said...

I'm salivating over the description of your eggs Benedict. No restaurant visits in our near future. We are meeting on the green for caroling but plan to wear our masks and socially distance.

Boud said...

Who's who in the pic? Bob on the left? Looks more like AC if I'm seeing this right.

Marie Smith said...

Eggs Benedict was always our Christmas morning breakfast. Haven’t had it in a while…hmmm….

Red said...

Many our tired of staying in and sneak out. I'm still not going to restaurants but I do go out to buy groceries.

William Kendall said...

I imagine I will get my booster shot sooner as opposed to later. And I'll continue only doing takeaway from restaurants.

MARY G said...

What restaurant? The YD loves eggs Benedict.
Horrible,pun.
Snort.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you enjoyed your breakfast! Hope you get your group together again soon. We had a great lunch today with my coffee group.

Mage said...

That's a nice looking bunch.....followed by a dad joke.

Margaret said...

Very "punny!" I was wondering how you were doing with Omicron. Glad you're getting your boosters. Where did you read about the effectiveness of the third shot. Are you Pfizer or Moderna?

Vicki Lane said...

Yum--the Eggs Beneict sound great,

Bindu said...

Yes, the cases of Omicron going up. Still, there are some people reluctant to get vaccinated!
Glad that you had a great outing. My only outing is for work.