Wednesday, December 08, 2021

Fiddling Styles

I found a clip about fiddling when I was ... um ... fiddling around on YouTube on that snowy morn that I posted about yesterday. The fiddler, Carol Ann Wheeler, won this competition by playing different styles of fiddling.

What I hear at our Celtfest tends to be a bit of Old Time fiddling but perhaps more of the Celtic styles of her Irish, Scottish, and Cape Breton variations. I put those three style together like that because I don't have the ear to tell which I am hearing when. I do prefer these Celtic styles to Old Time fiddling, but some of that is okay too. I am telling you this before you get to the clip, so you can watch for those parts in particular because she also plays several other styles. 

I was a little puzzled by what she called Canadian fiddling because I have never heard of it. When I noticed her playlist, however, I thought that by choosing Frenchie's Reel, she might have meant French Canadian or Quebecois.

Speaking of Quebecois music, this ↓ is Le Vent du Nord (The Northwind), a group that has played twice at our Almonte Celtfest. There's more than fiddling here, but they are a very upbeat and energetic band that some of you might enjoy.

10 comments:

Bindu said...

I have no idea about fiddling. Enjoyed the video though.

Marie Smith said...

That woman can play the fiddle! Love that video.

DJan said...

I'll watch it later. I don't think hubby would appreciate being awakened to fiddling! :-)

Patio Postcards said...

Carol Anne certainly makes the statement true about the difference of fiddle playing to violin playing; one sings, one dances. Thanks for sharing.

gigi-hawaii said...

I can't hear these pieces, as my speakers are malfunctioning, but I can imagine them.

Margaret said...

Carol Ann is extremely gifted; I prefer the more upbeat and catchy versions. I had to look up Klezmer. Le Vent du Nord made me tap my feet!

Red said...

I like fiddling but I know very little about it. lately I've been listening to Austrian folk music. I'm sure there are many variations there too. check out some Austrian folk music just for fun.

William Kendall said...

I do like the fiddle.

Jenn Jilks said...

Fiddlers are fun to watch! Not my cup of tea, usually, sometimes...

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I loved the different styles if fiddling! Thanks for the clip!