Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Cold Moon and The Junction

Out we went to drive around, see some light, and take some pictures.

Although I hadn't planned to photograph the tree across the street again, when I saw the full moon — The Cold Moon — peeking over the roof just beyond, I just had to do it.

It took two photos to accomplish this. The exposure for the tree was a long exposure of 5 seconds while the one for the moon was at 1/100th of a second. That's how bright the moon is in comparison — 9 stops or 9x brighter 


It was not a super full moon but a minor full moon because it was as far away from the earth in its orbit as it could possibly be. A minor full moon is 14% smaller than a super full moon.

We drove around a little enjoying the lights and not stopping for photos too much or for too long because -14ºC/7ºF is pretty darn cold. Even with my photo gloves on, my little finger tips became a bit numb, especially at one stop where it took some time to photograph the very impressive display.

I am not going to post that particular stop today as I took three different photos, but I will post my single photo of The Junction.


The set is modelled after the railway station and water tower that one existed here. Now, the land just around it is becoming a meeting place for town events. Where I was standing to take the photo, there is a hockey rink in winter. At the moment the boards are up but it hasn't been flooded yet. I was happy about not standing on ice as I was inside the boards to take this photo.


11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t done our Christmas lights run yet this year. It’s hard to get suitable weather. I really love that last shot, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

Brrr, your poor frozen fingers! I tried driving about (due to having an errand) last night. But no stopping on the main streets in town, too many hurrying drivers out doing their last minute things. Maybe after Christmas, and maybe a warmer night.

Patio Postcards said...

I like your last photo, of the railway station - it has Christmas card quality (col). Plans are for a Christmas Eve drive about the neighbourhood.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The last photo would be an ideal card, I agree with the previous comment. You were indeed brave to go out in such frigid temps, John. Thanks for the comment on our holiday decos. We make the most of the available space outside our at entry and inside as well. next year, Grenville's holiday village will take over a very large indoor area once again.

Margaret said...

I love that photo with the moon and the railroad station is lovely also. 7 degrees! I don't have any proper clothes for those temperatures.

Mage said...

Awfully cool, indeed. You both take care, and happy solstice.

PipeTobacco said...

I do especially like “The Junction” photograph!

PipeTobacco

William Kendall said...

Wonderful photos.

DrumMajor said...

Those are both neat photos. My urge is to alter the moon one and turn the foreground snow blue....Linda in Kansas, no snow of any color.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I need to get some photos of my community.
Coffee is on and stay safe

MARY JAMES said...

One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr Otonokpo to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Otonokpo because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr Otonokpo on his Email Address otonokpotemple@gmail.com, call/whatsapp him via his contact +2348114129781 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr Otonokpo for your great work