Sunday, December 12, 2021

Grousing

There have been times lately when I should have dragged myself out to make photos of Christmassy things or at least of wintry things, but the desire for creature comfort is strong, so I didn't went when I shoulda went. That would have been when the snow was pristine. Then the rain came, and it got yucky all over again. As of now much snow remains, and I rather expect it to stay for the whole dadgum winter.

But JJ had another game at ten o'clock yesterday morn, and even though my photographic ennui remained strong, I ported my camera to the frigid arena. The boys were back in the larger arena, which oddly enough, is not quite as brightly lit as the smaller one. I clicked and clicked for the hour – which is more like 32 minutes of actual playing time. 

I begin with two photos of Jonathan. I like the one with the players bench behind. That one was across the rink, so it is well cropped, as are many others.


This ↓ young fellow has been on JJ's team for a number of years. They both play defence, but they are not often on the ice at the same time. One of my memorable moments occurred when an opposing player was giving JJ some grief. This somewhat larger friend just skated between them, and the opponent soon thought better of his intentions.

This ↓ is an action photo of one of our boys rushing up the ice with the puck. I kept my finger of the shutter and got 6 or 7 shots of the sequence. I will spare you the rest. Indeed. I take many many hockey photos that either get trashed or shelved as I try with failing shutter finger to keep up with the action.

These ↓ are of the goalie doing his thing. He's a good one, often better than his opponent. This has helped the team win their last few games after quite a losing start to the season. The face in the background belongs to JJ.



I took a photo of the bench from across the way. There must have been a few absentees as we see only 4 boys. Of course, there were 6 players on the ice, but I am sure there are more than 10 on the team.


I am glad that I made the effort. Sue did cajole me somewhat, but I woulda anyway. I just wanted to grouse a bit yesterday morning.

Grouse is a verb that my dad used. I don't think I've heard anyone else use it in decades. I am pleased that it sprang to mind, for thinking upon it brings memories and feelings to the fore.







15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I’ve never heard grouse used in that interesting way. Great photos too.

Jenn Jilks said...

I was writing a post on mourning doves, you can understand where my mind went!
JJ must be so happy to see you cheering him on, while you madly click.
Not like the 'good old' days when you had 24 shots on a film!

Barbara Rogers said...

How grousingly wonderful you are as a granddad. And I bet you really enjoyed taking these, though of course won't let anyone know!

Marcia said...

What does JJ think of the photos? Are they plastered on the walls of his room? They are all good.

Boud said...

I remember grousing from childhood. Grownups got to do it, kids sternly told to stop it. Remember the radio series Toytown? One rotten old character was Mr Grouser. The chief animal, little Larry the Laaaaamb addressed him as Mr Grouser sir.

Margaret said...

I like the word grouse and use it once in a while. I love your hockey shots although I don't know much about the sport. It seems very challenging to me because it involves being able to skate as well!

William Kendall said...

I've used the term grouse in that context.

Red said...

I'd forgotten about transitive and intransitive verbs until you reminded me.

The Furry Gnome said...

Good pictures! I've tried. And I grouse about things a fair bit, especially (the lack of) caregivers!

Bindu said...

Your photos are amazing! I am learning new words from you as well!

MARY G said...

My family groused.
Way to go grandpa. I can relate to the frustration, but at least I was in a warm gym. You do have a lot of skill, even as you mutter.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like you could get job as sport photographer.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Vicki Lane said...

I am so impressed with your action shots!

Anonymous said...

In my younger years in Australia, grouse was slang for good or great, such as 'We had a grouse time', or 'Your car looks really grouse'.

DJan said...

Cool photos! And I've actually used the word in conversation, but that's just me, a word buff. :-)