Friday, November 01, 2019

We Won the Furnace Game

Yes, we did win the annual Furnace Game.

I don't quite know what the prize is, but we lived through October without turning the furnace on.

It wasn't that difficult as this October wasn't particularly cold. Winter began early last year; we had already had our first snowfall before month's end, and it sure seemed as though winter just kept on going and going from thereon.

Nevertheless, nighttime temperatures are really beginning to get down there and will fall below freezing by the end of the week. Therefore, this morning, upon awakening at 5:30, I relented and flipped the switch when the thermostat told me that it was 16C/61F in the house.

It's not that 16° is too cold for sleeping, but a body prefers a little more warmth once said body arises.

Besides, for whatever strange reason, lasting through October was the goal. Whether we get 2 days or 7 into November is of no consequence.

Of course, the furnace game is all a bit silly anyway, but there we are. Silly. Silly Canadians.

PS: I just noticed that today will have a high temperature of only 5C/41F, so yes, Virginia, it most certainly is time.

13 comments:

Tabor said...

Our first morning in the 40sF We have been in the low 70s all month...of course we were gone most of that time.

Barbara Rogers said...

And it was 32 when I opened the door to look at sunrise...at least the storms that blew through here yesterday and the day before are over. Not to get above 50 all day here! Glad to have sun return, though many leaves are now off the trees, but the remaining ones are brilliant.

Marie Smith said...

It’s 18 C here today, colder tomorrow. The heat pumps will have to go on! Ugh. Off longer than last year though!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, about time! My hubby is way too cold all the time for that. I have it set to go down at night to 16 C., but he sits there frozen in his padded jacket. I feel badly for him!

PipeTobacco said...

AC:

I am glad you are feeling better!

In regards to the furnace game.... we too play that game here.... but I must admit.... we have a significant "uptick" in the number of baked goods we make in October.... just to be able to release a bit of oven heat afterwards! :)

PipeTobacco

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I, too, held out turning the furnace on...but it was a pretty easy game as October started out in the 90s and barely dipped below 50 by the end of the month. But, alas, here we are on Nov 1 with an outside temp of 29, so now I will do the heat/ac game until winter definitely decides to stay.

William Kendall said...

I saw some stray snowflakes here in the city today.

Joanne Noragon said...

My Wisconsin friends play the furnace game, too. But then, I've often considered them part Canadian.
Right here in NE Ohio, there were snow flakes on my deck this morning. However, my WI friends have nine inches of snow on the ground.

Shammickite said...

My furnace was on just once in October. But it's definitely on this morning.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I wasn't playing the game which was very good because I would certainly have lost! And now snow comes softly and coldly falling on my world.

mittens said...

ahhh, now I have a name for it. We burn wood, and every year I play the 'woodstove' game. each year it varies, depending on how cold it is, and how much wood is actually outside and not stacked in the shed. This year the woodstove game is to not touch the wood inside the shed until a)all the wood outside is gone or b)it snows. And the second layer of that is, I only run the kitchen stove for as long as I can, and then on one particularly chilly morning I fire up the diningroom stove. We lasted until the first of November this year. Gives us goals to aim for, doesn't it.

Vicki Lane said...

We do something similar with closing the windows -- how long can we hold out? Didn't make it through October.

MARY G said...

Our daughter beat you ... they only turned it on yesterday. Special circumstances, however. A huge heat sink in the salt water aquarium of which I have written.