Monday, November 04, 2019

Memory Music and Morning Meanderings

Some mornings seem longer than others.

This morning, my bedside clock said 4:44 when I gave up my attempts at further sleep and pushed back the covers. It is now 6:16, and I must say that the time is dragging a little bit.

Among perusing other internet thingies, I have scanned through four blog posts this morning, but my dull brain is disinclined to comment today — sorry about that, Mara, Kay, and William.

Sue will be sleeping until 7 when her alarm will wake her to face the day. It will be a busy day for her, beginning with her exercise class at 8:45 and followed by her manicure. Then, we both drive to Smiths Falls where I have a medical appointment that stems back to the stomach cramps which led to a CT Scan last month: the one that ruled out diverticulitis — thankfully. Now, we shall see what he has to say about kidney stones, cysts, and the like.

One needs to be clean to see the doctor who may get very personal with my poor, old body, so I am heating up the bathroom in order to have a shower. Since we tend to keep the house on the cool side, we keep a little heater in the bathroom for when we need to shed our clothes. This is especially needed for early morning showers because we set the thermostat extra low at night.

As I prattle on, what is primarily on my mind is songs and our brains and why our brains remember songs as they do.

This morning, I have a song from elementary school banging on and on in my head. (I can't find it on Google, so I am unable to share the tune with you.)
When Pasquale was playing in the band
He forgot to wait until the leader raised his hand
When the band began
Pasquale ran
For he played his piece without the band.
Now he's careful when he's playing in the band
He always waits until the leader lifts his hand
When the band begins
Pasquale grins
For now he plays his pieces with the band.
Silly, eh?

But why do I remember that ditty from more than 60 years ago? And why is it occupying precious space in my addled brain this morning, sixty-plus years later?

This happens to me all of the time; frequently they are hymns or gospel songs from my youth, whether from school or church. (Yes, we sang hymns in elementary school.)

Holy, Holy, Holy comes to mind. It is one of those hymns from school. I am sure that we also sang it a few times in my decades of church attendance, but it was not a usual choice in Pentecostal circles.

I so very often have a song going around in my brain. I suppose that I am a little odd in this respect, especially considering that I don't listen to music the way that many do.

People tell me that if they are on the computer, for example, like I am now, that they will usually have music playing in the background. But I would tend to find it distracting, perhaps even disturbing. Sue is not a background music person either. As different as we are, we are somewhat alike in this.

Speaking of Sue, it is almost 7, and she will be up soon. I have turned the coffee pot on for her. I brew a mug when I first arise, but I make a big pot for her later. I will have another half mug or so, but Sue likes at least two mugs. It will be Belgian Chocolate flavour for her.

Now, I know that seems like a long time to write this since I began ~6:16 and it is now almost 7, but I have also had a shower in the interval, pretty much after I wrote the words, Holy, Holy, Holy, above. Perhaps, it was Holy Cow! do I ever need a shower!

I think I will save this to post a bit later after I have greeted m'lady, drunk some more coffee, and reread and edited (if necessary) this piece.

16 comments:

Tabor said...

Well, good for you to make coffee for your busy partner. I have computered away most of the morning and must be on my way for errands. It is a lovely sunny fall day here.

Kay said...

We're on the same wavelength. I got up at about 4:30 also. I blame Art since he got up to get ready for his walk with a friend and I must have been at the light sleep stage.

You remember all those lyrics? Wow! What a powerful memory!

If I'm the Kay you mean... no worries. I don't comment every day since my brain is too often distracted. Sigh... It's true.

Marie Smith said...

I played Holy Holy Holy numerous times in church on the old pump organ when I was in grades 7 and 8. It is etched in my brain.

Barbara Rogers said...

I hope all turned out well with your doctor visit...and aren't you glad you showered! Tee hee. Not that the doc did much care. Our Daylight Savings Time just blew away, and so my waking times look much later than they did a week ago...our time switched back an hour, so the sun which comes up at the same 7ish time is now coming up at 8ish. What a bother. Yes, many hymns from school/church occur in my times of letting them in. And I no longer can stream free radio of classical music on the internet, so I choose none.

Jenn Jilks said...

JB is quite meticulous prior to doctor's visits!
I hope all went well in Smiths Falls.
I was up before it was light...

Joanne Noragon said...

Amazing Grace is my all time, hands down, favorite. Once, before he sang it at a concert I was at, Arlo Guthrie explained it was written by a slave ship captain, just before or just after he reversed course to take his human cargo back to Africa.

William Kendall said...

I tend to need to have music on when I'm working. Usually it's instrumental. Jazz, classical, or film scores.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nothing wrong with getting up if attempts to fall asleep don't work and thanks for letting us in on your rambling thoughts in the early a.m. personally, i was still in bed and getting up when Sue does at 7 a.m. Thankfully, Grenville has the coffee ready and brings me a cup so he and you share that wonderful habit, John.

Vicki Lane said...

No background music for me either. Though like you, I often have some going in my head. These days, because of Josie, it tends to be something like Baby Shark or Wheels on the Bus, alas.

Unknown said...

I was trying to remember that same song for the past few days and couldn't find it anywhere until I saw your post. Thank you! I only remembered a little of the song. If you ever come across the melody, please post it. Again - thanks for the memory.

mike21314 said...

I too remember that very song, and in fact, was searching for it, hoping to hear it on YouTube, when I came across your post. I remember it from 4th grade, 61 years ago, at a Catholic school (St. Bernard, Mt. Lebanon, near Pittsburgh). Never once heard it since, but the words of the first stanza and the tune have resided in my head all these years and I occasionally sing it to myself, at least silently. Amazing how your memory works!

JimD said...

1963/63 Nashville Tn. 3rd Grade University School of Nashville. We sang this song in Music class. I have a friend named Pasquale.
I love the old memories.
As for the melody, I believe that I can still sing most of it.

Unknown said...

I LOVED the Pasquale song! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I sing Pasquale all the time. I am 66. It was grade 3. I have been looking for that music book for over 20 years. I think it was called Merrily We Roll Along. I went to school in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I also love hymns and sing them all the time. I think my son thinks I'm nuts. I loved music in school and singing in Sunday School.

Unknown said...

I learned that song in public grade school on Long Island. I also remember that 'Holy, Holy, Holy' from Catholic Church.

mom said...

I just looked up the Pasquale song because my husband, who is the same age as you, began singing it out of the blue -- I'd never heard it before in all our years together. How strange is the human brain.
BTW He says the words are really "tune" and not "piece"