Thursday, November 21, 2019

A Short Walk Not Far from Home

I dislike winter tires. They add noise and feel different on the road. So, I like to put off having them installed, but the need seems to get earlier in November nowadays, so I went in on Wednesday. I could have used them a week earlier when we had our first snow, but I didn't have to drive far in it, so all was well.

I had a little walk around near the tire place with my compact camera while I waited for the procedure. Although it wasn't too cold or windy, I didn't gad about for very long. But I did take some pictures, so I'll share them now. Keep in mind that this is less than a mile from home.

It was garbage day. This is how the tire place gets its trash to the curb. All of the cardboard and anything in the blue box will be recycled.


Fire hydrants are made ready for winter by affixing yellow 'arms' that will stand out above fairly high snow banks.


Just to the left of the hydrant was a stop sign or at least the warning of one up ahead. There is a trail that you can see faintly to the right of the paved path and left of the road that runs for a long way. We have cycled it, or some of it, in the past.


I found this cherry picker just off to the left behind the tire place. I realized that its purpose is to help with the installing of signs,



There is a new subdivision on the other side of the road. There are new subdivisions going up all over the place as people look to our town for less expensive housing than in the city. But it is still expensive enough lt me tell you. I didn't go past the sign in case they were serious although there are people living beyond it. You can see a house under construction in the background.


New subdivisions don't get mail delivery to the door. This has been going on for some time. Our house is more than twenty years old, but we have boxes too. Except our boxes aren't as efficiently designed as these. Ours are higher but narrower. There are boxes for parcels below. If you get a parcel, they put the key to the pertinent parcel box in your mail slot. Once you obtain your parcel you return the key via the outgoing mail drop.


Farther up the street, a new hotel is being built. It is probably needed in this growing community. There are only two older and not terribly appealing motels on the highway and one smaller and older but very nice hotel in town.


Well that was just a little but uninspired look around the area quite close to home.


7 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Not you usual beauty shots but I like a look at where people live. All that snow already, hey?

Barbara Rogers said...

I want one of those front loaders to carry my trash out. I just toted mine to the bins where it will be picked up. Another use of plastic bags and I wonder what might replace them!

Marie Smith said...

I like the glimpse of activity there, AC.

Jenn Jilks said...

Glad you got yours on.
That development is quite something.
I remember hydrants!

William Kendall said...

Good street shots!

Joanne Noragon said...

All the construction astounds me. I know everyone must live somewhere, but had no idea that many more of us need housing. And hotels! Now there are five nearby, and all with a quarter mile of each other. One had been there; four were added when the Republican convention was in town.

Kay said...

It's a lot of fun and so interesting to see how life goes on up north. I see you have snow all over the place.