Thursday, November 14, 2019

Sun Pillar

I don't know if sun pillar is the right name for this phenomenon, but the combination of clouds and sunset did produce a pillar-like effect.

Every now and then, I do take a photo from our bedroom window, which is a bit redundant, since one couldn't really take one from/through the bedroom wall, so I should just go with bedroom and forget the window part.  👴

I take such a photo on occasion even though it is not even close to being a great view with houses in the way. But when I saw the pillar from the first floor I decided that this should be one of those rare times. I raced upstairs (understand that racing is relative at my age) with my camera and nabbed a few quick shots before it disappeared. And it disappeared very very quickly indeed. I took a couple of quick shots, and then it was gone.




14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The blue of the clouds sets it off too! Great capture!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good racing! I like the second which shows the snow on roofs as well. Rooves doesn't work does it.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is lovely! We're in a bungalow, as you have seen, and don't get these views at all. Mind you, the cataract is really slowing me down.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This is beautiful and so unusual. I don't think I've ever seen such a "pillar".

Should Fish More said...

I've seen what Alaskan's call 'sun dogs', but they occur on clear days when it's well below zero.

Mage said...

Aren't those nice.

Judith said...

Ooh--Beautiful colors.

Tabor said...

Great shots. I love the pheomena of weather and sun. I know exacty what you mean by "racing" and I am sure thatam super redundant...hoping readers do not mind.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Joanne Noragon said...

A pillar for sure. Great picture.

mittens said...

so that's what it's called. We get those up here, too, and I always wondered. Looks as if the whole town is afire, doesn't it...

Kay said...

That is so spectacular. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Doris Potter said...

Really cool!

Vicki Lane said...

Quite beautiful!