Friday, November 15, 2019

The Aunt I Never Had

For my birthday in September, I was given a six-month subscription to Ancestry. After fiddling and faddling on various searches for remote ancestors, I decided to take some time to input the family that I already know about. And so, I came to Ruby May, the aunt that I never had because she died at the age of two from what I can best gather.

I come from a very small family, at least in the immediate past. I was an Only, and my father was an Only, and his parents didn't keep in touch much with family back home once the emigrated to Canada.

My mother had three siblings at one time, but her two sisters did not survive infancy, and her brother never married and then died in middle age. So, like I said, small family.

Ruby May was born in 1919, possibly on February 5th, and was both baptized and buried in 1921.

Below, is the only picture that was ever taken: at least I presume so. If there was another, I am sure that it would also be in Mom's photo album. Ruby is the baby being held by my grandmother who died when I was two, so I have no memory of her. Grandfather Quinlan is holding my uncle, Charlie on our left, and my mother, Mary, on our right.


My mother's note on the back of the photo.


Although I have guessed that she was born on February 05 1919 (read on to see why), I cannot be certain of the exact day or even the exact year for that matter.

I did, however, find a record of her baptism, and Uncle Charlie's too.


Uncle Charlie's baptismal record is on the left, but I will ignore that for now. Below is the text of Ruby's record as best I can make out.
Quinlan Baptized 
Ruby May, daughter of Arthur Joseph Quinlan, bricklayer, of Cartierville in the Province of Quebec and of Charlotte Anne Robinson, his wife, born on on the fifth day of February in the year of Our Lord one thousand nine(teen) hundred and twenty one, and was baptized on the third day of March in the aforesaid year in the presence of her parents and other witnesses. 
Parents Witnesses 
Arthur Joseph Quinlan Charlotte Ann Quinlan  Elizabeth X Robinson Israel X Robinson
Of course, I do believe that the date of birth as written above is incorrect, for according to my mother's note, Ruby was born in 1919. I also seem to have a vague recollection of being told that Ruby died when she was two years old, and I know (see below) that she died in 1921.  I have also found her birth year as 1919 on someone else's pedigree on the Ancestry site.

The witnesses were my maternal great grandparents, Israel and Elizabeth Robinson (Drew), who, apparently, travelled from their home near Cornwall, Ontario to Montreal for the event. (I think that I will want to write more about them later.) They must have done the travelling because the baptismal record seems to come from St Bartholomew Anglican Church in Montreal (Bordeaux).

I cannot find a record anywhere (so far) of Ruby's twin sister, even in Mom's albums, but she told me that Ruby was a twin but that her sister died much younger, I presume very shortly after her birth since I can find no record at all. This saddens me somewhat, as does Ruby's early death, but at least we have a name and some sort of record for her.

I have also found a record of Ruby's death, also transcribed, below the image, as best as possible.


Quinlan Deceased 
Ruby May -- daughter of Arthur Joseph Quinlan resident of Cartierville in the Province of Quebec, and of Charlotte Ann Robinson his wife, died on the twenty fourth day of July in the year of Our Lord, one thousand nine(teen) thousand and twenty one, and was buried in infancy on the twenty sixth day of the same month in the Mount Royal Cemetery in the presence of subscribing witnesses. 
Witnesses
Arthur J Quinlan
Charlotte Ann Robinson
That is probably as much as anyone can ever know about Ruby May Quinlan these 100 years later.




15 comments:

Marcia said...

Now here's a challenge for you: find the Mount Royal Cemetery and Ruby's grave. If you can't go there you may be able to find a listing of all the graves in Ancestry.

Good sleuthing so far.

Barbara Rogers said...

welcome to the Ancestry bug! Now you can at least look for who your great grandparents were, and where they lived. Lots of census records are also available on Ancestry...whether they had siblings or not, a direct line of those grandparents will yield you thousands of ancestors (like mine have) if you are so inclined! Sad to hear of your Aunt who died so young. And I'm sure your mother was sad to lose a little sister.

Marie Smith said...

So many ancestors died so young. We are fortunate to have a few who lived to lead to us.

Mage said...

That's fascinating. What a nice gift. My grandfather had a sister by the name of Margaret Millicent. She died at 12, and now has five family members named after her.

MARY G said...

Isnt the research fascinating. Equally riveting is the huge number of things that killed babies and toddlers. I did a whole bunch of family research some years ago, and got involved with my husbands family research also. Photos of gravestones are useful, if you can get them.
I have been told that my maternal great grandmother was celebrated because she had eleven children and none of them died as children. Yikes!!!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Good research! It is worthwhile and very grounding to connect to long ago relatives. Often very sad to visit old cemeteries and see all the small headstones......

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It's so interesting to trace family history. My mother had two older brothers who died in infancy. (One was @1 yr., one @2.) Naturally, I never knew them, but knew my living uncle and two aunts. What's interesting to consider now is how that must have affected my grandmother. I don't think she ever got over the loss.

William Kendall said...

Quite a lot of research, AC!

Red said...

I found it hard to find my way around in this site.

Joanne Noragon said...

I found Ancestry difficult, too, unless I devoted a lot of consecutive time to it. All in all, worth while. I'm glad you could confirm what you know.

Kay said...

So many children did die young back in the day. Both of my parents had 2 siblings who died also. I know my mother's brother died at 2 of leukemia and her baby sister of starvation.

troutbirder said...

I had privilege of being and only for ten years. The two brother showed up after WWII and ruined a good deal for me...:(

Vicki Lane said...

I find genealogy fascinating -- my family, your family, it doesn't matter.

Jenny Woolf said...

It's sad for your mother to lose two sisters and even harder for her mother. Life was tough in those days. It's interesting looking up Ancestry, isn't it? I let my subscription lapse recently because it was taking up too much time.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is interesting. I looked up JB's family, as well as mine. I stopped, though. I am adopted and none of my cousins are speaking to me. Too bad.

We did extensive research into JB's father's military service. His dad died when he was two.