Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Mill and Reflections

Sue is away with Shauna and Danica this weekend to visit the new baby in the family — a grand nephew. They drove 4 hours to Toronto and the parents drove 2 hours from the other direction to facilitate the gathering.

Sue and I are so used to being with each other that it seems off when we aren't even if it will not be much longer than a day. It's not that we are always or even often in the same room. She does a lot in her room, and I do a lot in mine, but we are always in proximity.

Thank goodness they have good traveling weather; it is sunny enough, and the roads should be clear. Still, I worry a little with my 3 generations of women being in the same car.

That reminds me of a time when a somewhat different 3 generations were in the same car, and there was some trouble. I was driving one car, while Sue, Baby Shauna, and my mother were following me. We were driving 2 cars because my mother was going to stay at our destination while the 3 of us would return home in our car.

After awhile, I noticed that they were not behind me. I drove on, but they didn't appear, so I pulled over. And waited. And waited. Has something happened to the 3 generations? What should I do? Should I turn back?

In a while, they showed up, and in point of fact, something had occurred. They had had a blowout. I can't remember the details, but I think some kind fellow helped them change the tire. Thankfully, all were fine. I trust that the same will be said today. Meanwhile, I await somewhat apprehensively for the next 6-8 hours.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, I did slip out to see if I might find some photos to take. It was my second short photo outing of the day, but the first yielded nothing.

This time, I went downtown, by townhall where the river runs past. I was hoping for good sunset light of the building, but it only so-so. And even though it wasn't much past 4, the sun was almost down behind a line of trees. Crazy, eh?

But despite how low the sun was, it did catch the old mill just beyond townhall. The result was acceptable.



It was cold, and the sun was almost gone, so I didn't dawdle. I few quick snaps without bothering with the tripod, and I was done, but it was good to get something.

12 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Great shot of the mill. I love when the sun highlights things--telling us it's time to grab the camera. Safe travels to your women!

Jenny Woolf said...

That's a nice picture of the old mill. I hope that by now they've arrived safely and given you a call. It's funny how niggling worries like that can snag in your mind like a burr.

Marcia said...

I like both of those. The sprinkle of snow really adds it.
Let us know that family safely returns.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Such great colors in these photos! Why did you decide to stay home? I hope you know by now that all is well.

Mage said...

I like the shots a lot. G is on the other side of the room, and he is driving me up to the top of the point for a shot or two. Yours are lovely. If mine can be near as good, I will be happy.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

You call it "acceptable" … I'd say amazing. As always I love the artistic way you frame your pictures.

Marie Smith said...

I have the cleanest house in the city when anyone in our family is traveling. It keeps my mind occupied and I like the benefit of the cleaner than usual house.

The reflection photos are great!

William Kendall said...

The old mill is quite photogenic.

Barbara Rogers said...

I llike them both...and since the sun has gone down several hours ago, I am sure your women-folks are alright.

Tabor said...

I like being away from hubby for a few days so I can eat lighter fare and when I want. I do love to see him when he gets back full of energy.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice work. We're home and safe.

That's quite the story. I always worry when the kids are out and about. Caitlin usually texts me to let me know they are home. She texted to say Jesse had arrived, too. She was in charge of picking him up at the airport.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The old mill reflection looked pretty darned good to me, AC. And, I know what you mean about when Sue is away and it's the same with us. We are together most of the time even when in the apartment, but yet we can escape to our own interests in another area. Still it's comforting to know the other is nearby. Hope Sue had a safe journey to and from.