Monday, May 13, 2019

Visitation

Sue called me down to the patio door with some urgency: "Bring you camera. There's a goldfinch."

I grabbed the one closest to hand that was suitable for the task and headed down.

Indeed, there was a goldfinch in the lilac bush (which thankfully isn't sense with foliage yet), and he wasn't in a hurry to fly off. perhaps he had just been in the bath, for he kept very busy preening. Unfortunately, he had his back to me.



I was ready to put the camera down when he finally turned around.






Of course, even with my longest lens, there was much cropping required.

But it was nice to have a photo op show up in my own backyard when I haven't been in a position to go out to seek photo ops. Our townhouse backyard is squidgy, and, with a busy road behind, not exactly a mecca for our avian friends, so this visit was greatly appreciated.

He came back today along with his lady friend, but there was no real chance for another photo, and if there had been, it simply would have been more of the same.

10 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Some more great pictures here. I don't think our goldfinches are here yet, but we do have a pair of Red Shoulder Hawks who seem to be nesting in the area. But I haven't gotten a decent photo yet.

Tabor said...

I plant sunflowers just so they will hang around the yard although they eat my echinacea seeds in late summer. They are so lovely with their mating colors. Your wife is much like my husband who finds good scenes and asks me to bring my camera.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely gift for you! Good fun!

MARY G said...


Beautifully done. We have had several flocks, but they keep perching in the apple tree in the small branches where I can't get a focus. Great colour.

Marie Smith said...

Such a magnificent creature!

Shammickite said...

What a vibrant colour. All I have seen so far on on my deck are squirrels. But It's almost time to put the humming bird feeder up, and hope the darned squirrels don't notice it.

Joanne Noragon said...

You did a fine job with this opportunity! Love goldies.

Christina said...

I love the North American goldfinch. The European ones are completely different. I wonder why they share a name? I was going to take photos of the little blue tits flitting in and out of their nest box this morning but forgot to take my camera to work (the nest box is in the woods on my cycle route).

William Kendall said...

What a pretty bird!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great photo subject to show up in your backyard and such a colorful bird at that, AC.