Friday, May 03, 2019

AC Had Surgery

Yesterday, I set the alarm (which is my phone) for 4:30 AM . . . because I wanted to have a clear drink before 5, which was the cutoff time preceding my surgery. I had a very moderately-sized drink, but then I peed almost non-stop until the operation, which was a bilateral (ie both sides) inguinal repair.

I was driving myself crazy. While in pre-op in my gowns for not much more than an hour, I had to get up 3 times, hauling that stupid intravenous bag with me and holding it while doing the deed. And I eliminated much each time. I don't know where it all came from.

Surprisingly they had me walk into the OR. They wheeled me to the doors, but the rest was up to me. I had taken out my hearing aids and had told people to speak up, but they never do until reminded again and again. I always notice this, that people almost immediately revert to their normal voices.

I was the first operation (of my surgeon) of the day, but even then we were about a half hour late in starting. But about an hour and a half later, I was waking up, without, thank goodness, the need to scurry to the toilet every 15 minutes.

They had given me a general anesthetic because of my back problems. Last time I had surgery, 12 years ago, I had s spinal, and there was much much pain in my legs when the anesthetic was wearing off. Who knows if the spinal was the cause, but the pain was really really significant. This time, my legs were fine afterward.

By 11AM I was on my way home, driven by Shauna and accompanied by Sue. Surprisingly, there was only moderate pain although moving about is quite problematic this morning. However, once I am in a static position like I am right now, there is just a general soreness to contend with.

One nice byproduct of being on an opioid, is that my knees feel less stress when I am getting up and down. This is good since I haven't had my celebrex since Monday.

Thankfully, that particular trial is mostly behind me. Hopefully, as the medication wears off, the procedure will prove successful in reducing the general discomfort that I have experienced for many years. So far, it does feel hopeful.




16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

So glad it went well!

KGMom said...

Oh, the vagaries of growing older. If you don't mind my language--it's a bitch!
Glad to hear all went well. I have been in and out of hospital so much--out-patient mostly (for a-fib where they re-boot my heart). And I know full well that constant urge to urinate. I am sure it is stress related.
Anyway--here's to a speedy recovery.
You have one advantage over me--I have an opioid intolerance. How do I know? After my first knee surgery, opioids were my pain reliever RX. Took one--and promptly threw up. So, no more.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am glad it went well and is now in the past! I hope you will have the results you hope for.

Barbara Rogers said...

Hope your recovery goes as smoothly as the surgery. We are lucky to be getting older, as the alternative of not, is lacking in blog sharing. Hope you skip a few days (or have already scheduled them!)

Marie Smith said...

Hope you heal well and quickly, AC. Take it easy!

Shammickite said...

I had to look up your surgery and I'm so glad it all went well. You'll be back out there with your camera in no time! Stay rested and get better fast.

Mage said...

Welcome home. I too had to Google your surgery. So very glad that it all feels so very hopeful. We are cheering you on.

Christina said...

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!

William Kendall said...

Hopefully your recovery time goes smoothly.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hope all goes well for you. Are you a fast healer?
I'm sure your family will give you lots of TLC! All the best.

Red said...

Hope you have a rapid and successful recovery.

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope the outcome is perfect.

Lorna said...

My dear friend, I didn't know you were about to have surgery, and I am so glad we didn't just drop in on you today when we thought about it as we were leaving Almonte. Glad that all went well. One of the reasons for our visit to Almonte, in addition to hoping to see my brother Sean, was to attend the Almonte Fair, which was not on today. I had put it in my calendar, and as always, put a reminder for the event a day ahead, so we'd have a day to plan our visit. This time, we (and I mean me) looked at the reminder, and assumed it was the Fair day. We walked around Almonte, couldn't find Sean anywhere and
spent a whole pile of money on gifts for my two sisters whose birthdays have already passed, but not by much. I feel a long way away from successful today, but maybe I've made you smile, which would be good. Hi to you both!

Kay said...

Oh ouch! I’m so sorry for your pain and aggravation. I had to go to the bathroom before my colonoscopy earlier in the year and it’s no fun. I sure hope you don’t encounter much more pain. Please take it easy and let Sue baby you.

Mara said...

I hope that you will recover quickly. There is nothing as bad as not being able to do the things you want the way you are used to. Even if that way was perhaps not the best way anymore.

Jenny Woolf said...

Usually better to have these things done, they don't fix themselves!