Sunday, May 26, 2019

Trillium Time

It is trillium time in Eastern Ontario. As I post every year, the trillium is the flower that our province has adopted as its own. I know of one spot on a country road where I can find these flowers, so I headed there early one morning.

Ideally, I would use my macro lens and a tripod and take care to get good compositions and exposures, but with things being the way that they are with my body these days, I put on the telephoto lens and just stood and shot.

Results were predictably mediocre, and I trashed almost every photo, but with a bit of work, this one is at least acceptable.



However, I did obtain a few other photos, which at least show you the context of this shoot. This one catches a few trilliums in the foreground although they are not sharp because I focused on the barn beyond the woods. It does reveal where these flwoers grow — in shaded, wooded spots.



When I was ready to depart, I noticed a sunrise glow way down the road.



As a bit of a lagniappe from the gods, at the corner (see the stop sign in the above photo), cattle were grazing in the field across the road. I zeroed in on one with the fence in the foreground.



So, the rehabilitation continues. I continue to wear braces (aka suspenders) on track pants. Track pants are soft, and the braces hold the waistband above my incisions. Unfortunately, the only braces that I own are Christmas/Santa braces, so I keep them covered up with a shirt or sweat top. I hope to discard them soon.


As a bit of an addendum: later that morning, I took a photo of our neighbours red trillium, deep in the shade and pointing downwards — silly thing.


9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy your outings almost as much as you do. It sounds like your recovery is progressing well. Take care.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are healing, that is a good sign. After hubby's prostate cancer surgery he had 6 or 8 incisions from the robotic procedure. I always take photos of such to be able to track progress.
I'm glad you got the trillium!

Should Fish More said...

I grew up in Oregon where the cascades have trillium in abundance, coming out around this time of year on the western slopes. Here in MT the only place they grow is in the far NW corner of the state. My lilac bush out back is well into getting leaves, and in about 3-4 weeks it'll bloom.

Excellent photo's, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

Up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, about 10 miles from my home, there's a turnoff to a picnic area. The Park service has planted (transplanted?) many trilliums opposite to that turnoff...and it's a great place to see them beside the road (with a place to park as well.) Ours have come and gone already this year and it's summer already, sigh!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

The state flower of Ohio is the carnation, but our state wildflower is the white Trillium and I love it and have many in my yard, in a shady spot. They are so beautiful.

William Kendall said...

They really are pretty. I haven't seen any this year.

Joanne Noragon said...

The trillium beds around me are disappearing, as are the woods and fields.

MARY G said...

The trilliums (a) around our place seem to be slightly smaller than normal. Have you noticed that? I like the woodland shot a lot.

Kay said...

I remember seeing trillium while walking in the Illinois woods. None here in Hawaii. Those are so pretty.