Friday, February 01, 2019

You May Become Sick of This

You May Become Sick of This macro business, but what can you do except post about what you are doing?

Since last year, once I purchased my macro lens, I have intended to do some macro photography, especially during winter. Particularly for the past few weeks, the weather has really dissuaded me from heading out (not that I require much dissuading), and so macro is pretty much all that I can do with my camera.

In addition to the macro lens and the ring flash, I recently acquired a Third Hand device, which is a sort of clamp. I hadn't used it yet, but on this day, I cut off a bit of the polka dot plant in an attempt to highlight a little section and focus on it without other leaves getting in the way.

This is the setup. It's hard to tell at this scale, but the rest of the plant is several inched behind the cutoff section, which is approximately within the red box, or at least the part that I photographed is within that area.

The clamp holds the section of interest several inches in front of the rest of the plant


I wanted to highlight the hairs/spines on the plant which I had noticed a bit on the previous shoot. But this section also contained a blossom which doubled the interest for me.

After the usual adjusting, stacking (8 layers this time), and cropping, this is the result in 3:2 format.



I also applied a 1:1 square crop, but I like the above 3:2 version better with the negative space to the right.


9 comments:

Tabor said...

Many people approach photography from a technical angle making sure they use all the appropriate features from their camera as well as the appropriate lighting. I did some of that when I first got my camera but now I am not so careful and my photos are not so rich. I also have a macro and did use it more years ago...now you have me wondering if I should go back and get some indoor macros while the cold weather is outside.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful! I love the little hairs!

MARY G said...

I like both crops, in fact. But the 2/3 is a more classic approach.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Beautiful...So much more to see. It is too technical for me to attempt but I enjoy seeing what you can achieve with these tools.

Mage said...

Now these are lots of fun. You could crop that bottom one with the negative space minus the leaf on the left. Lovely color against that background too.

Marie Smith said...

That is detail. Perfect!

William Kendall said...

Cool close ups!

Jenn Jilks said...

This is an excellent indoor project!
I went snowshoeing, again, yesterday. It keeps me off the street!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Macro photography is really beautiful. The plant viewed as a whole is less interesting than the close-ups which are truly amazing and beautiful.