Thursday, February 07, 2019

Intense Dislike

School buses have been parked for five of the past seven days, and we were expecting another off day today. Yes, my dears, another ice storm was predicted, and that is almost a sure shut down, more so than a snow storm. It happened farther west in Ontario, but, somehow or other, we were spared — at least this once. Good thing too as conditions were bad enough already.

The previous day, Tuesday, we had chipped and scraped the ice from the upper part of our driveway, but with aching backs, we didn't finish the job. The ice was too thick down nearer the street for us to contend with it. There is more freezing rain predicted overnight, but then temperatures should rise above freezing, so maybe we can scrape some more tomorrow.



Sorry to show our street on garbage day, but this shows the driving conditions. Thankfully, major roads were tended much better, and we were able to run around and do our listy chores, such as laying in provender for yet another predicted weather event.



There is a prodigious pile of snow on our front lawn by the street. It actually looked white and pretty up until Tuesday before the rain came. I took this photo from the edge of our driveway yesterday. There has been a inordinate amount of snow since the New Year. Our region actually set a forever record with more than 97cm/38in.



This freezing rain and alternate thawing and freezing happens every winter, and I hate it. It's simply the worst part of winter. Freshly fallen snow looks pretty at the very least and can then be cleared, but these icy conditions are ugly, both visually and practically.

However, yesterday I realized that March Break is just a little more than a month away. The sap will begin to run and spirits will lift. Until then, I reserve the right to whinge and whine.

In general, I don't mind winter although the last three weeks have been trying, but I intensely dislike the days when freezing rain rules us.

11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, we do have to manage our winters.
Last Feb. was the same.
Spring is coming, I kept telling my grumpy client!

Mara said...

I do like my snow, but fortunately never have had to deal with freezing rain. It sounds awful though.

Just dream of daffodils, perhaps they will come a bit earlier this year that way!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I like a soft snow, but not ice and wind and freezing rain. Actually, where we live, on the rare years we get snow, it's only a light dusting. Still, snow is beautiful. It appeals to the painters for sure.

Mage said...

You need a teen aged boy with a good back.

Marie Smith said...

It’s coming our way too, though you can keep it if you like.

Should Fish More said...

Except for the houses, looks like my block in MT.

William Kendall said...

Freezing rain is the only part of winter I dislike. I don't know if it's forecast in the city tonight, but I don't think so.

Joanne Noragon said...

Far too much ice this year. We only had two days off, and two days of kids walking on ice.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A little too much snow, I think!But we're tough, right? And retired and don't have to drive in the ice and snow?

Vicki Lane said...

Yikes! I'd be more than whiny.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Freezing rain is so much worse than snow on so many levels, I agree.