Saturday, February 23, 2019

Closer Still

I had yet another go at macros with my polka dot plant. This had a slightly different twist. I plucked a tip which I have done before, but I set it up in front of the rest of the plant, which I hadn't done previously.

I used the flash and took 8 photos, each with a different focal point, which I later stacked together into one image in Photoshop.

This ↓ is the result, or at least my first result.



This is the setup ↓ in the next photo. The portion of the plant that I photographed was only about 1cm or about 0.4in. The part of the plant that made it into the final image above is within the red square, or approximately so.



I was happy with the result in the top photo until I realized that I had lost most of the pinkish background of the rest of the plant although you can see a little magenta toward the bottom left.

So, I decided to reprocess the image from scratch to try to get more of that out-of-focus background bokeh*. I also decided to crop it differently, leaving negative space to the left.



To repeat: I do like the first photo but the background of the second was more what I had in mind originally.

Oh, I should have said that I used my crop sensor camera to get a little closer than is possible with my full frame camera, and I also used an extension tube to get closer still.

(I do know that many of the things that I describe must seem foreign to most of you, but it's here for my record and also for perhaps a few others. Also, see a definition of bokeh, below.)

*Wikipedia
In photography, bokeh (/ˈboʊkeɪ/ BOH-kay;[1] Japanese: [boke]) is the aesthetic quality of the blur produced in the out-of-focus parts of an image produced by a lens.[2][3][4] Bokeh has been defined as "the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light".[5] Differences in lens aberrations and aperture shape cause some lens designs to blur the image in a way that is pleasing to the eye, while others produce blurring that is unpleasant or distracting ("good" and "bad" bokeh, respectively).[6] Bokeh occurs for parts of the scene that lie outside the depth of field. Photographers sometimes deliberately use a shallow focus technique to create images with prominent out-of-focus regions.

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

You’ve found such an interesting hobby. Both are beautiful though I can see the difference.

Vicki Lane said...

I love seeing how you do this. And the tiny hairs on the plant make it look like a cute alien.

William Kendall said...

It's very pretty!

Tabor said...

You have a lot of gear! I only use the in-camera flash and I use that rarely. But my photos leave much to be desired. I have done some macro, but with a macro lens and tripod, only.

Jenny Woolf said...

Good macros. One of the things about doing big close ups is that it makes you really look at the thing you're photographing. Always so much to see when you do....

Jenn Jilks said...

This is an amazing project. Good work.