Tuesday, February 26, 2019

A Matter of Perspective

It seems just a wee bit ironic to visit the doctor and be told on one hand that you need an operation but on the other hand that you are in good health.

But that's what happened yesterday except, I suppose, that the operation is my choice but not much of a choice really.

The first confirmation of my good health occurred as I was filling out a 4 page health checklist survey. I kept ticking No: no heart issues, no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no issues with organs, no history of cancer, and so on and so forth.

It was Yes on the one line about arthritis. I'm not crippled or anything but just have more than most people in their early 70s. And Yes to hearing, which is a darn inconvenience, but it isn't life threatening. Those were pretty well my only Yes'es on almost 4 pages. Which ain't so bad.

I do have an issue with my foot, but that stems from an old injury, and once again, while it does tend to cause me to drag about like a decrepit centenarian, it's not quite the same as being on life support.

So, why was I there, and what's this operation about if I'm so doggone healthy?

Hernia. Or hernias, I should say.

I knew I had one which is why I was there, but I have two.

They can be repaired (knock on wood) in about an hour, give or take, and I can go home shortly thereafter. This is set to occur early in May.

We don't have a huge social network, but we hang out a bit with three couples, mainly meeting for the occasional coffee. In each case, one spouse is dealing with cancer. Sue and I look at each other when our physical problems get us down, as they are prone to do at times, and we remind ourselves that it isn't cancer. Not yet anyway.

We are healthy enough, all things considered.

Heckfire! "I haven't even had a cold or flu in several years," he said, while furiously knocking on wood.

12 comments:

Shammickite said...

Aren't we lucky, living in this wonderful country where we can go to the doc and get surgery like this scheduled without having to arrange expensive insurance or mortgage our homes?

Mara said...

Fingers crossed it won't be any more 'serious' than the odd hurting foot or the annoying hearing loss. Although a hernia can be quite painful as well. Hope the operation will go well.

Joanne Noragon said...

I don't seem to catch things either. Cold, flu. Now I must give up leg breaking!

Marie Smith said...

I always catch colds etc from the grandkids.

My husband hasn’t had much luck with hernia repair. The same one has been done twice with no success. Hope you have better luck AC.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Perspective is certainly something we all need as we gain in "wisdom, age, and grace". Or at least the age part! Sending you good wishes for successful surgery and recovery (in which you follow your doctor's recommendations completely).

Mage said...

Yes, no coughing either. So glad you are fixable in such a short time. :)

Tabor said...

We push and stretch and oil these old machines and know full well we are lucky for what we get!!

William Kendall said...

At least this issue can be sorted quickly.

Jenn Jilks said...

You're right, cancer puts it all in perspective. Our first surgery was in 2014.
I hope it all goes well.

jj said...

Wishing you all the best on the surgery!

Vicki Lane said...

After a certain age, it's maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

MARY G said...

JG has had three repaired. And is most happy with the result. Wishing you an easy surgery and fast recovery.
And yes, it could always be worse.