Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Digging Out

Well, we had our big snowstorm, and while it was big enough, it seemed a little less than expected. Everyone prepared for the worst; schools were actually closed for two days. Usually, they just cancel buses but leave the schools open. They pretty well could have stayed open yesterday because the snow began later than expected and started mid afternoon rather than early afternoon. But you make the best decision that you can with the information that you have.

We get a lot of drifting up by the house, and I shovelled that part out twice last evening. However, I left the bulk of it for the contractor, and it came during the night. There had been some subsequent accumulation, but the lions' share had been removed.

However, there was more to do. First, it is garbage day, so we shovelled a bit of a path to the sidewalk. Second, the contractor has been leaving more and more of a bank on the side of the driveway, making it narrower, so it behooved us to trim it back a bit.

Shovelling a path to the street

A different view of the same path. The accumulation behind is taller than Sue
who is not short.
From the street
The neighbour came over to help out. She cut into the bank for us.
Other neighbours are also out. They later came down to finish our driveway.
I almost neglected to mention that yet another neighbour had cleared our walk
before we came downstairs in the morning.
Sue decided to make sure the vents out back were clear.
Once we were back inside, I noticed my neighbour, he who did our walk, on the ladder.

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

The snow here started around four thirty in the afternoon. The campuses announced a shut down for twenty four hours beginning at five thirty, so classes were cancelled, and the same applied to the schools for today.

That's still a good amount of snow.

Mage said...

Gosh. The most snow I ever lived in was about a foot. I was young and silly, and I laughed at it all. You guys are wonderful.

Shammickite said...

We had a less-than-expected amount of snow on Tuesday too, but it still drifted right across my driveway and I had to wait for the bobcat to dig me out this morning. But we don't have as much snow as you yet!
But I had a white knuckle drive along the 401 this morning.... lake effect snow, big transport trucks, spray, slippery roads, yuk.

Joanne Noragon said...

Another winter more than half gone. I don't like it.

Marie Smith said...

We had a storm today too. The snow is back again now.

Tabor said...

Last time I saw snow like that I was a small child in Colorado and we spent the day making forts. Your have really really really great neighbors! I am glad that our winter has been pretty mild so far.

Jenn Jilks said...

It was epic. I remember my Ottawa days, with such loads of snow on the lawn.

Jenny Woolf said...

My goodness, you have kind and helpful neighbours! I have heard that serious snow shovelling is extremely hard work.