Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Snow Day, Birthday, and Violets

It was back to macros on yet another snow day on Monday. It was the seventh snow day of the season, with today (Tuesday, as I write this) being the eighth. It is also the sixth snow day in two weeks, or actually seven days to be precise. Of course, these snow days were really ice days from that stupid freezing rain. I hate that stuff.

Snow is tolerable, but icy conditions are not. The conditins also caused me to miss an out-of-town medical appointment, but we did have a bit more time to celebrate JJ's birthday as in-town traffic was moving well.

We had been hard-pressed to find an opening for a birthday party. I had that appointment booked, and he had an out-of-town game shortly after school. As it turned out, we were able to take him to DQ for a birthday dessert. There would also have been a lunch out too, but wires got a bit crossed between his two families.

Of course, I forgot my camera in the car, but his mom took this one with her phone, and it's a good one.



On to the macros . . .

I wanted to experiment with in-camera double exposures. I tried a number of shots, but only one worked out fairly well. There are really only three blooms in this subject, but the double exposure makes it seem like a larger cluster.



Once, I saw the result above, I realized that the more interesting bloom was the one to the left, half looking away from the camera. So, I tried a shot from a similar angle: just a single exposure, hand-held with flash and hoping for the best.




9 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Their busy schedules make it tough to find the time to spend with the grandkids. Winter doesn’t help either.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It's an ill wind that blows no good! I hope your weather improves....We had lots of snow, and then the polar vortex, but that's all over now.....Much warmer, nearly 60F and rain....Not a snowflake nor a bit of ice left....Your photographs are lovely.

Mara said...

My dad told me the day I arrived home, that if I wanted to borrow the car I was out of luck: he is going to be so busy over the next few months that even two minutes was going to be difficult! It seems as if schedules these days are more and more hectic and chaotic!

Mage said...

Your wonderful winter things keep us energized.

Vicki Lane said...

It's fun watching you grandkids grow up. JJ is really changing.

Tabor said...

I keep promising myself I will get out my macro...but there is so much other stuff going on now and I am a great procrastinator.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful macros!

As much as I love winter, I don't like freezing rain.

Joanne Noragon said...

You've had far more snow days than we. Ours were "weather" days; too much polar vortex for kids to walk in. I wonder if there are equator vortexes. And, by the way, delicious macros.

Jenn Jilks said...

The older the kidlets get, the less time they have for us!
I am enjoying your macros projects!