Monday, February 03, 2020

The Magnifying Glass

Recently, I read a post in which a magnifying glass was mentioned. At present, I have no idea who wrote it. Sorry about that, but I am septuagenarian, so please just give me credit for gathering my diminishing mental resources to remember anything: anything at all. And then to actually write about it. What a clever septuawhatchamacallit am I.

But of course, that post made me think of my magnifying glass: the one that I wrote about ten years ago. Is it really ten years already? Ten?

Here's the short history. As far as I understand, it was first used by my maternal grandmother after she suffered vision problems following a bad fall. I am pretty sure that this would have been sometime in the 1940s as she died in 1949, two years after I cried my way into the world. (Apparently, she was unable to see me, her only grandson, or at least not very well.)

The Glass (as it was called) eventually made its way into my parents possession, and they used it as needed in their senior years. I remember them, particularly my dad, using it. There he is with it over there. → (The glass is to the bottom left of the frame, by the newspaper.)

I wrote about it in Through The Glass Dimly those ten years ago and again six years ago when Danica used it to probe Buppa's Big Bald Head.

Even as a septuagenarian I have reasonably good close-up vision, so I don't need to use the glass, except occasionally for the teeny tiny fine print found on certain containers. (You know the ones.) But that means I do use it somewhat, and isn't it at least a little remarkable for a magnifying glass to have such a pedigree? I mean, three generations already!. And in Buppa's Big Bald Head, Danica used it, and she is fifth generation. Crazy, eh?

It's silly, I know, but I hope The Glass makes it into Shauna's care someday and then, maybe, to Danica's household. Unless it originally came from elsewhere before grandmother used it, which would make it even older, it is approximately 80 years old now, and if Danica were to have it when she's 80, the glass would then be a century and a half old.

Here I insert the notion that my mother, as her cataracts were developing, had in her 80s — that the glass was wearing out and losing its potency. This amuses me whenever I think about it.

All of that is the background to introduce the two photos that are coming up because I think the context is rather important in this case.

You see, I thought that I should photograph myself with the glass. Sue was out when I finally got around to it, so I set the camera up on my tripod and fired it remotely using my phone while I sat at the table pretending to read something or other (the yellow pages directory) while peering through the glass.

Furthermore, I decided to don my hat, one that let me emulate Sherlock Holmes as best as I could. I think that we all picture Holmes peering intently through his magnifying glass while wearing that wonderful deerstalker hat, but my fedora would have to suffice.

I had a vision of sorts for what I wanted, which is highly unusual for me. I conceived the photos to be monochromatic, and I wanted them to be low key (dark), and a little on the gritty side.

And so, without further ado . . . Ta Da!



These are reasonably close to what I had in mind. I might tinker with them a bit still since the directory that I am reading is dark in the first photo and should be at least faintly visible, as it is in the second photo. However, I like the fact that I was more or less able to accomplish what I set out to do. (I have now done further editing but will leave these images as they were when I readied this post.)

Not bad for a septuawhatchamacallit. Eh what?

12 comments:

DJan said...

Nice! I have one just like that, much newer but the same, ever since I had my cataract surgery and can no longer read the tiny print without help. I like the second one, and you done good for an old fart. :-)

Tabor said...

I also use those magnifying glasses and have several around the house depending whether I am looking for bugs on plants or directions on medicine containers. I like the photo for an ad for a detective show.

Barbara Rogers said...

I unfortunately had to have correction of astigmatism in my eyes...meaning just making things bigger wouldn't really help that much...so I have been wearing prescription glasses for about 12 years. I started to say 10, but I retired 13 years ago. I was happy with those "drug store" glasses around my neck before then, just enlarging the small print. Your detective portraits do emphasize your chin, I think. I like seeing your whole face. How about a profile with the glass up to a wall? Well, that's my critical side coming out, sorry about that.

Marie Smith said...

The bit of extra light in the second one makes it my favourite.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

They do have quite a mysterious air about them, those photos! Well done!

Kay said...

I did get my mother a magnifying glass for reading. Some day, I’m sure I’ll get it passed down to me. I LOVE those photos of you. It kind of reminds me of Leonard Cohen.

Joanne Noragon said...

No, not septuwarian bad at all.
I have become the repository of many of the family magnifying glasses. I have two like in your hand, both with a little additional circle ground to magnify larger. Then there were my grandfather's "big eyes", a glass that fastened to his spectacles and could be pushed up and down before his eye as needed. And more. My sister has a pair that goes over both eyes. She uses it to pick bad stitches out of quilts.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is all rather amazing. Good work.

I'm still waiting for cataract surgery. I am suffering.

Mara said...

Perry Mason! You look so much like him in that first photo.

We have only very little heirlooms and most of them made their way to my aunt, her being the eldest girl...

PipeTobacco said...

Really, really nice images !!!!

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

Very dramatic. The first one is a little dark for my taste until it is magnified.
We have a similar magnifying glass and one year the grandkid decided to be a detective and carried it for Hallowe'en.

William Kendall said...

Very film noirish!