Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Cold Winter Photos

As I have opined previously, and probably on several previouslies (yes, spellchecker, I do know), outdoor winter photography is problematic. When conditions are most beatiful after a freshly fallen, pristine snow, it might be difficult to get around. Otherwise, it may be too cold, too windy, too cloudy and dull, or even too slushy. Therefore, aside from that New Years Eve shoot (here and here), I hadn't been out at all.

JJ's hockey games have kept me somewhat amused, and there are little family gatherings.

But it's not the same.

In the event, I ventured out on Friday morning despite or perhaps even to spite the very cold temperatures that were well below freezing. I bundled up, and because it was bright enough and calm enough, I was quite comfy womfy out there.

I had hoped that there was enough of a spray by the rapids in town to result in picturesque freezing on the trees, but that wasn't the case.

However, as I drove around, I spotted a bench in Hackberry Park with a glimpse of the falls from the dam in the distance,


I took a shot under the old railway bridge, which would have been to my back in the previous photo,  back toward Hackberry Park again, and you can still faintly glimpse the falls in the distance.


Oh, I almost forgot that I did also took a photo of the relic waterwheel apparatus by the former McArthur mill.


With nothing else catching my eye down below, I ascended the trail, of which the bridge is a part, and took a photo looking upriver toward townhall with its spire and clock. Another former mill, Boulton Brown, now condos, is on the left.


It took some post processing work to get the most out the above photo, but as a result, it became my photo of the day and, just perhaps, of the winter.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

I really like that last one. It has a watercolor effect. Did you do that digitally or was that just the nature of the light and scene?

PipeTobacco said...

I agree with Marcia about the watercolor effect of the last photo.... very beautiful! But, I am especially enamored with the railway bridge. I often see such “industrial” images in my mind as I look about my town.... but I can never seem to capture them in an artistic way.

PipeTobacco

DJan said...

Nice, AC. I like the first and the last the best. The bench looks inviting. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Great set of photos...so glad you were brave and went out to endure cold to capture these. I love the last, but on my monitor it's too blue...even the bricks in the buildings. Could be I've got my settings wrong.

Vicki Lane said...

Well done, AC! The first and last pictures are especially beautiful!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Brave of you! It looks cold to me. But that last picture especially is so atmospheric.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the last photo the most. It looks like a painting that I would want to buy. Really gorgeous.

Tabor said...

These are really really great. I like them all. Your tones and lighting are just right!!

Marie Smith said...

These are all exceptional, AC.

Jenn Jilks said...

You've done well. Lovely photos.

Joanne Noragon said...

I remember a time I would go out in sub zero weather for pictures. No more. But, good for you. Nice pictures.

Rita said...

Quite cold your way, too. Your river isn't frozen over anyways. I think winter pictures are beautiful. :)

Padutch said...

The last photo is fabulous!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I too admire winter scenes, I am not as likely to go out looking for them, so appreciate that you did, AC. And, like previous commenters, my favorite is also the final shot.

Kay said...

These are so pretty. I love winter scenes. Darn! I took so few shots of winter in nature during our trip earlier this month.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful winter views!