Friday, February 21, 2020

A Mel Movie

Believe it or not, this is Mel Gibson on our town's main street last weekend.


It really is Mel, dressed for a movie part.

Yes indeedy: movies are shot in our area. Mostly of the Hallmark genre, but I know nothing about this one (see addendum for update). They mostly take place in the town to the north of us, Almonte (with a silent e). However, scenes are frequently shot in our town too.

Aside from Gibson, other actors of apparent note (although they are unknown to me) are Walton Groggins, Walton Boyd Crowder, Venus Van Dam, Wade (somebody or somebody wade), and  Steve Nash.

Apparently, this is Walton Boyd, and he is somebody that some know, but I pretty much live in the dark . . . in my ark. He does look vaguely familiar, however.



A scene from the shooting.


They had a very cold day for it, and apparently, bystander photography was strictly prohibited during the shoot.

Addendum: A tiny bit of sleuthing has revealed to me that the film is to be called Fatman, at least it is the working title.
Fatman centers on a rowdy, unorthodox Santa Claus (Gibson) who is fighting his business decline. Meanwhile, Billy, a neglected and precocious 12 year old, hires a hit man to kill Santa after receiving a lump of coal in his stocking. It was written and will be directed by brothers Ian and Eshom Nelms, whose credits include Small Town Crime, Waffle Street and Lost on Purpose. https://deadline.com/2019/05/mel-gibson-santa-claus-casting-fatman-movie-1202609900/

13 comments:

DJan said...

I am not a fan of Gibson's, but since I now have a connection with this movie set, I might have to watch it when it comes out. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, you got a photo of Mel. Good for you! I wouldn't recognize him at all!

Marie Smith said...

Great photo of Mel. He sure looks different!

gigi-hawaii said...

Where is the photo of Steve Nash, the NBA point guard? I used to have a huge crush on him.

Cloudia said...

Hollywood has found you!

William Kendall said...

The second fellow is Walton Goggins.

I'd heard Mel was in the area filming, but it was actually after I took photographs of Central Park here in the city, where there was a set up that looked like a Christmas market. I assumed at the time that it was one of those fingernails on a blackboard Hallmark Christmas movies.

PipeTobacco said...

Very nice!

Mel Gibson looks good in a beard & mustache. The movie sounds like it will be light fun..... I will be looking forward to it.

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

Not a fan of his. Would never have recognized him! I am a fan of Walton Boyd though. ;)

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't like Gibson, but there you go.
We bought the DVD series Justified. I liked it. It was a bit dark for my daughter!
Walton Sanders Goggins Jr. is the actor you are confused about.
He played Boyd Crowder in the series. I am a fan of his. Supporting actors have a hard job. He does a great job as the bad guy!

Joanne Noragon said...

Don't know any of them. It seems you have that small town ambiance, however.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I was curious as to how you obtained that shot of Gibson after reading further that the set was closed to bystanders. Regardless, it was a good close-up, AC. After reading the possible movie plot, it’s very unlikely to be one I would ever see.

Kay said...

I would never have recognized Mel Gibson from that photo. He’s not my favorite person, but it’s so neat that you got that shot of him. That sounds like a rather strange film.

Mara said...

I agree: he looks vaguely familiar (not Mel Gibson, the other one), but for the life of me I wouldn't know what he played in. And the names don't ring any bells either!

My first thought was: doesn't Mel look old? Don't tell my parents I said that, as they will just smirk... (when I was younger I hated it when my parents said anything like that)