Sunday, February 16, 2020

A Sleepover with Danica

Harkening all of the way back to last weekend, dear Danica came for a sleepover on Saturday. It was mostly to escape her brother's birthday sleepover, but we were happy to have her whatever the reason. Sleepovers don't happen as frequently as they used to, but they are still meaningful to us.

We had picked her up mid afternoon after our Appreciation Event, and Danica did some homework before we went out for supper.


For supper, we decided to try Dairy Queen. We'd never done that before but had heard good things, and we had coupons. I don't think we'll eat there again apart from ice cream in summer. We weren't overly enchanted by the food, and I am suspicious when hot food is brought to the table (after ordering at the counter) almost as soon as we sit down. Like it took about two minutes to get three dinners ready?! Sue's burger bun contained some mold. They brought her another, or did they just change the bun, or did they just cut the mold from the bun?

Nevertheless, Danica enjoyed her dessert.


She spent much of the evening curled up and doing whatever she does on her phone. Grandma had gone to bed at this point.



Guess what she did in the morning?


Did you guess right?

After attending JJ's hockey game we did breakfast/lunch at McDs.


Somewhat surprisingly, she wanted to come back to our place rather than go home. She did some crafting, homework, and I am sure more phone stuff.



It was late afternoon, but she decided that she wanted to stay for supper too. Go figure.

What a treat to have this almost-teenager return for a sleepover. I think I still have some memories of the first one. I should try to find it and link. Just wait a minute while I . . .

Did you wait? I have one of me walking with Danica at a sleepover. I'm not sure if it was the very first one, but I think it might very well have been.


It touches me quite deeply to see that photo.

17 comments:

DJan said...

What a sweet person she is. Your post captures her essence very well, and I too love that last picture. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

It's so much fun having them over, isn't it?
I like having them one-on-one, as well.

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun, and I'm sure you had some good light conversations...yes, that last photo is a real tearjerker! So sweet.

Vicki Lane said...

What a lovely young woman she is becoming. And I love that last picture. How time flies.

MARY G said...

Love the sleepover memories. And, yes, our into her teens has a phone attachment too.

gigi-hawaii said...

She is very photogenic. Lucky to have good genes. Had to laugh at your story about the mold on the bun. Ewwww.

Marie Smith said...

Time with your sweet girl. Precious from first to last!

Mara said...

She definitely isn't as small anymore. It looks like she has lost some of the child in her face and gone to young woman. Soon she will be breaking hearts!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A lovely time with you granddaughter! I think she really likes spending time with you!

Christina said...

She'll continue to come for sleepovers, I am sure of it. I went to sleepovers with my grandparents until I emigrated at the age of 28. It was a special treat every single time. Shame about the food but at least you had coupons so maybe not a great financial loss.

Red said...

Grand kids are the best!

Marcia said...

What a special time. Savor every moment!

Joanne Noragon said...

It's wonderful that you have such a close relationship with your grandchildren. It makes me smile.

Tabor said...

Grandchildren have very strong strings around our hearts, do they not?

Rita said...

Awww! It means more when they choose your company the older they get.

I agree--Dairy Queen is really best for the ice cream. ;)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While the times for grandchildren sleepovers may be lessening, it is clear that yours do enjoy these times as do you and Sue. Danica is quite a lovely girl with a winning smile. That last photo is a treasure.

William Kendall said...

I can imagine the effect of that last shot on you.