Saturday, February 01, 2020

Soup to Fight the GIs

I have been dealing with GI issues for some time now, which have nothing to do with the army, I'll have you know. Although I sometimes feel as though a troop of GIs were marching through my abdomen. (Not to worry, the medical establishment has been alerted.)

The symptoms flare up from time to time and simmer on the backburner at other times. Recently, the GI troop has been stomping around with great gusto.

And so, I have been trying to keep my diet under control by eschewing those goodies that are baddies for my system. Nix to the chocolate, soft drinks, chips and the like in this little battle that I wage against the forces of indigestion ... and more.

It dawned on this pathetic, beaten-down warrior, that soup might be easy to digest, and I thought of a recipe that I/we hadn't made for quite some time: potato leek soup.

Of course, I am about to post the de rigueur photos. These are just snap shots as food photography doesn't really interest me a whole lot. Yet, I have met some photographers, or at least one, for whom food photography is a great interest. À chacun son goût.

Chopping the leeks

Simmering the leeks and onions

Potatoes and milk have been added, brought to a boil, and are simmering for 20 minutes

Use a mixer to turn the mixture into soup

Ladling

Salt, pepper and cheese added to the dish

After mixing in the cheese, I added croutons
I know that no one cares, but it's a post, although with the GI theme, I sometimes feel like the bugler is warming up to play the last post (not really — just trying to return to the metaphor).

13 comments:

Tabor said...

Oddly all the food you cannot eat is the food I have been eating with my ear infection. I have no appetite for real food. The pain is finally going away and now just swelling and hearing issues. I am on an anitbiotic, so lots of yogurt to keep my GIs from marching too much.

Marie Smith said...

The soup looks great. Soups are always our go to meal this time of year, especially the cream variety.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry you've been having GI issues...no fun. But that soup does look glorious. Who knew a photographer could cook too!

Red said...

Home made soups are by far the best. They just take a lot of work.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've been having GI issues, too. I cannot figure out if it is stress (my go to response for all these years) or this cold virus.
I remember being pregnant with my youngest (he's 34 now) and had the runs for 6 weeks. They couldn't give me anything for it.
It's no fun being ill. The soup looks yummy.

MARY G said...

Even in areas where you say you have little interest you take great photos. Yeah, GI issues. The joys of aging, I guess. And I got chocolate for Christmas that I did not dare eat. Sob.

DJan said...

That soup looks wonderful. Now I'm hungry for some, although I'm not hungry at all really. :-)

Christina said...

Leek and potato soup, an old favourite. I like mine blended, like yours but my man prefers it with bits. Since he is the cook in this house, I play along but sometimes I secretly blend the leftovers to take to work. I never had it with cheese on top, what a good idea. I hope your tummy problems improve with your new diet. We have a little man with great tummy problems in the house, it is a constant worry (but all medical investigations have come back normal).

PipeTobacco said...

AC:

Not sure if you and your clinician are still trying to determine what is going on with your GI tract, or if there is already a firm diagnosis. But, it he/she is still trying to figure it out..... often irritability issues if the GI tract can be quieted a fair amount with consumption of significantly greater amounts of water and also consuming yogurt (presuming you are lactose tolerant). Many causes of GI distress are associated with the micro flora being weakened temporarily.... like through having recently taken some types of antibiotics, or having taken cortisone or cortisone similar medications.

Hope you feel better quickly!

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, it looks mighty fine. I've never got control of that mixer upper thingy. I may buy and try another.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like a really good soup. Anything with leeks in is good!

R's Rue said...

Yum.

Kay said...

I love soup. I’m dealing with stomach issues too. It’s bummers!