Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Warriors on Ice

I watched a hockey game last night: my team, the Montreal Canadiens vs. the New Jersey Devils. There is nothing remarkable about that; it is something that I do frequently. It's the Canadiens that I follow and have done for most of my sentient life.

The first game I remember watching was in our landlady's apartment, downstairs in our duplex. It was 1955, and I was 7. Although I had to look it up to confirm the year, I could pinpoint it  because Les Boys (sometimes called that in French but with a mixture of English) lost to the Detroit Red Wings. I was able to do this with such assurance because the next year they went on to win 5 Stanley Cups (championships) in a row.

Hockey players are special breed: true warriors, playing through all sorts of cuts, bruises and injuries. They would be ashamed to fake an injury which is a common practice in soccer. They will take a stick to the face, be bleeding or even picking up their teeth off the ice, yet not miss a single shift. They carry on when players in almost every other sport would tap out. It is just hockey culture.

Last night the team was struck with the flu, a few so badly that they were forced to miss the game. The others soldiered on although they did not have their usual jump.

Finally, they got going and erased a 2-0 deficit to take the lead.

This player got an assist on the third goal.

MartinChevalier/JdeM via TVA Sports
His name is Ryan Poehling; he is a first year rookie from St Cloud University. I am featuring him because it is reported that he was forced to leave the bench several times to vomit. Yet he returned and played on with great heart.

They are a special breed, these hockey players. Warriors on Ice.

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Imagine his determination to play feeling like that! Good on ya kid!

MARY G said...

I distrust the 'play on' ethic when it encompasses concussion. Too many fine young people have ended up with permanent problems. Having said that, flu is a different animal. If you are, for instance, a young mother, you play on regardless.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Well, that is special but I don't know if it is wise. But I am not part of any warrior culture....

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

My middle child loved to play hockey. We lived in NY when he was in High School and I attended many games. I haven't thought of that for years, AC. Nice entry.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't really watch hockey.
I think it ridiculous for them to be spreading germs, throwing up, and coming back out. No wonder the flu spread.

My dad always watched the Leafs. He'd stomp upstairs on the creaky wooden steps after they lost!

DJan said...

I have long thought that hockey players are indeed a very special breed. THis guy has gone the distance, and then some! :-)

dellgirl said...

This is interesting information about hockey, all new to me. I'm Just saying hi, stopping in to see what's new with you and to show my face. I hope you had a nice week so far, wishing you a wonderful Thursday.

William Kendall said...

Better the Habs than those Leafs!