Monday, February 24, 2020

Buried by a Blizzard

The Blizzard of the title does not refer to  a winter storm, but to the hockey teams that visited our town this past week. The Iqaluit Blizzard buried our team, so to speak.

The Iqaluit Blizzard boys hockey teams came the 2100km/1300mi from Baffin Island way up in Nunavut last week. Iqaluit is 64°N right near the Arctic Circle.



I don't know what else was on their agenda, but I suspect that they were visiting Ottawa, the nation's capital, and playing a few exhibition games while they were here.

They were in the next age bracket from Jonathan, so he wasn't playing, but we decided to attend the games regardless since a fuss was being made of the visitors: quite rightly, I hasten to add.

The Blizzard defeated our B and C teams quite handily. I do wonder if our A and B teams would have been more competitive, but it doesn't matter in the least. It was an experience for all.

Of course, I took a few photos. Other photographers took the serious ceremonial photos, but I just did what I do and took mostly action photo of the games themselves, and I am presenting three shots that I like. The Carleton Place Kings are in white, the Iqaluit Blizzard in [mostly] blue. (Some had red pants while others were totally in blue.)




The hockey season is coming to an end, so you will be relieved to learn that there won't be too many more hockey posts. I think our guys have one more league game, but it is away, so I shan't likely attend. This will be followed by an away tournament. Sometime after that, there will likely be a playoff game or maybe two.


10 comments:

DJan said...

I'll miss your cool hockey shots, but I figure they will return in less then another year. :-)

Marcia said...

That's a long way to travel for a youth hockey game.

Barbara Rogers said...

I wonder if any parents came with them...or just coaches...and I imagine they didn't do a bus trip...do you know? However they arrived, it was almost as good as a Disney World trip, I bet! Well, maybe not quite.

Marie Smith said...

What a great opportunity for the teams to play together!

gigi-hawaii said...

Cool uniforms. I think those hockey sticks are dangerous. But the head and body gear probably protect the players somewhat.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I'm impressed that they would travel so far for a hockey game!

Kay said...

Now that’s one sport my son never played. For one thing, his feet are so wide that the skates always hurt him. It seems like such a dangerous sport.

Jenn Jilks said...

What an adventure that must have been for the kids!
Great shots, as always.

dellgirl said...

This is a really interesting post. The photos are amazing! Wishing you a wonderful week!

William Kendall said...

That is quite a journey!