Wednesday, December 11, 2019

I Found the Other Aunt that I Never Had

I often awake around 3 o'clock for a reason which you can doubtless guess, but I almost always go back to sleep. That didn't happen this morning although I did give it the old college try for another 45 minutes.

The situation being what it was, I brewed a cup of coffee, and after some general web browsing, I decided to log into Ancestry to sleuth and perhaps to record a bit more information. After looking at a few old census records about my great grandfather, Israel, I opened Mom's photo album looking for additional information about the man. I knew that she has his siblings listed: more than I could find online.

Serendipity struck, and I found something that I wasn't looking for, almost hidden in a longish bit of text: "There were 4 children, Ruth, & Ruby who died as infants ..." 

Did you note that: Ruth?

Not so long ago, I posted about Ruby who only lived from 1919 to 1921. At that time I wrote that she had a twin sister but that I could find no record of her.

Once I had Ruth's name from the album, I was able to find her death record on the web site. She was born on May 05 1919 but died 4 months later on September 08 1919 and was buried in Mount Royal Cemetery.

Below, is the record that I found. I have made a preliminary effort to transcribe it, but I have inserted question marks where I couldn't discern the handwriting. I will get other eyes on this in due course. (I have uploaded a large image if anyone wishes to click on it and try their hand at deciperhing it. I also see that I made a few typos, which I will correct on the original image in my files.)


I am pleased to have found the record. I felt that the poor wee thing deserved a mention. Kudos to Mom for recording so much information in her photo album. Speaking of Mom, she would have loved being able to see records such as this one. Although family history does not interest most people, it is an interest that has come to me in these later years from her and her album. My granddaughter, Danica, has shown some interest and has recorded her own pedigree on another website. Who knows what gems she might uncover some day?

9 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

That's a good resource for you, to give details of your aunt who only lived 4 months. That made a difference in the family probably. And since she was a twin, she probably had a difficult start in life. I'm the genealogist in my nuclear family, but have a cousin who is more serious and has joined various organizaations. I just shared all my resources on Ancestry with one of my sons, so they don't disappear with me.

Marie Smith said...

I always feel the same about the lost babies and children. It is so important they have a place in the family records. That was a great find. Who knows? Maybe you had to get up early to find her.

Marty said...

Ironic that about the time we finally take an interest in our ancestors, there's often no one left to ask about them.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is amazing what these sites can help you to discover.

Jenn Jilks said...

I found this really interesting, as I did the same for my hubby. I lost interest after my cousins shunned me.

Hubby gets up 2 - 4 times a night. I hear you. Lately, it's prefaced by coughing. sigh.

Tabor said...

My daughteris the ancestry chaser and maybe someday she will pull it all together for me. I have insomnia three or four times a month and spend time doing stuff on the Internet. Glad you found that sweet child that never had a chance at a full life. What sadness to lose both daughter.

Joanne Noragon said...

My mother had everything (I mean e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g) genealogical recorded in the smallest little book, with many crossings out and even smaller writing for corrections. She would be so happy with Ancestry. I'm so happy you are pushing it further and further out.

Kay said...

It wasn’t until I was retired and of a certain age that I got moving on our family history as well.

William Kendall said...

My mother was into family history.