Friday, December 13, 2019

Breton Brittle

I don't know what is going on or why. With my sleep, I mean. Or lack of sleep, I should say.

It was another short night. I had maybe 3 hours sleep from 11-2, but even then it was fitful. I tried for more until almost 3, but I gave it up as a lost cause.

This sort of thing has been going on all week, it seems.

Even the one night with more sleep was interrupted by a wakeful session with intestinal cramps. This happens from time to time, but it has been a more major concern for the past few months. I am scheduled for a scope on Monday. We shall see what we shall see.

I hadn't really intended to go where I just did, up above, about my troubles. Nope, I intended to post about Sue's Christmas dish — Breton Brittle.

She is down to baking just one dish this year, and I am not sure that she would have attempted even that if the cat lady hadn't asked for a contribution for her Christmas Bake Sale Fundraiser tomorrow. She does so much for our feline friends that she deserves our support.

So, here we go, as best as I can remember the steps, and I am not going to wake her for more info at 3:45 in the morning.


Bring a cup of butter and a cup of brown sugar to a boil. Pour the mixture onto a pan of crackers — Breton crackers. Bake for 5 minutes.


Remove from oven and sprinkle with 2 cups of chocolate chips. Bake for 1 minute. Smooth the chocolate chips over the dish.


Cool until it hardens. In our Canadian case, the porch will do nicely.


Now that it is hard and brittle break it into chunks. Bag them for the nice cat lady.

It still isn't even 4 o'clock. I shall proofread and wonder what to do for the next few hours. My head is almost spinning with fatigue, but I've had a coffee, so further sleep does not seem like a viable option for awhile. And we are supposed to go visiting tonight. Not sure if I will make it at this rate. What a week!

11 comments:

Christina said...

I had to look up Breton crackers, I don't think they sell here in the UK. The brittle looks delicious and I'd happily eat a large chunk.

I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

Marcia said...

You don't sound so good. I occasionally have those periods where sleep is fitful. I take two tylenol or ibuprophen and that relaxes me to sleep. I hope you're able to nap today.

Marie Smith said...

That’s a great recipe.

A nap is in order about now, AC. Hope you get some sleep tonight!

Tabor said...

While I have had insomnia on and off for years it is sometiimes linked to that second alchoholic drink or a day of no exercise and/or moving and just sitting and doing stuff in front of the PC OR too much stress from life. It is good to get a medical opinion though.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you about sleep. We've been relying on cough meds, although I usually take my MM oil. That has made such a difference. At least you don't have to panic knowing you have to get up and go to work!

Barbara Rogers said...

sorry about your lack of sleep, which may well be tied to your gut problems...glad you're getting it checked out. In the meantime, take it easy, don't overdo. Rest as much as you can!

Vicki Lane said...

That looks delicious! I may have to try it.

MARY G said...

Must you cause me to drool on my keyboard? I had four hours of sleep. You are right. Not enough.

Joanne Noragon said...

Once in a while I have a bad night or three, like that. Then I'm so tired, I sleep normally. For a while.
That treat looks marvelous.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That looks too delicious....Not for people trying to do low carb!

William Kendall said...

That looks good!

From time to time I have the odd bad night.