Monday, December 09, 2019

Home Tournament

Jonathan plays house league hockey, but they have a couple of tournaments every year, including one home tournament. So, they got to play three games on the weekend without travelling.

We missed the first game on Friday because we were at the hospital (see previous post), but we attended the second game on Friday evening.

I did something different with the camera. I attached my wide angle lens instead of the moderate telephoto one, just for a change of pace.

I figured the best shots would be directly behind the goal, and I was right.

I was treated to quite a few goals as our guys won 7-1. It was odd that the game was so one-sided because they hadn't won a game all season. In fact, they have difficulty scoring even one goal in most games. So, go figure.

This is one of their goals in two shots, so you see that that lens can work well from that vantage point. Jonathan is in the background (black helmet) in both shots. The wide angle view showed almost the whole ice surface all the way back to out goalie. Every one of our on-ice players at this time are in the photo.



Some action around our net.


Jonathan had the honour of being named Player of the Game after the contest. They always do that in tournaments but not in league games.

We were back at the arena early on Saturday, and the team played well again. They did score three goals, and had a 3 -1 lead after the first period. But the other guys came on strong and scored the winning goal in the last minute of the game.

Still, they scored 3 goals and were very competitive, so they are playing better lately.

I was back to using my 70-200mm lens and caught the puck flying toward our goalie. It went past him and bounced off the crossbar behind him, and play continued.


Action around the net: somehow the other team (white) scored from this melee. 


I like this photo of one of our boys taking a shot; he put his whole body into it. I guess I could have cropped in, but it is sometimes nice to see all of the action, including the referee in this case.


JJ had a good game. He was back on defence for this tournament and did a very good job of clearing the puck on a number of occasions. This was one of those occasions.


It was nice for the boys that they finally won a game and were very competitive in another. The next game will also be at home next weekend.

8 comments:

Tabor said...

i feel that I was at the game. Since I got a new Sony "bridge" camera I do not use my telephoto or wide angle as much. I do miss the wide angle when I get into the landscape stuff.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to have variety of lenses to work with.

PipeTobacco said...

I like the wide angle look .... and the behind the goal action scenes..... WONDERFUL!!!

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

The wide angle shots are great!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Congratulations on their improvement. Great shots.

MARY G said...

What a great job ... the tam and your lens. Wish I had had one for gymnastics, back in the day. But the rink is better light than a gym, especially the university gyms which are caverns with very high blue shade lights. The gymnasts' legs used to come out blue as well.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done. I get so cold watching sports in arenas.
Great photos.

William Kendall said...

Splendid action shots!