Friday, March 29, 2019

Learning to Trust



Lacey has now been with us for more than a month and is learning to trust, and we now have our cuddly moments.

We do know that, at least before she was surrendered to the humane society, she was alone a lot. We don't know how long she lived like this in her 8 years, but we feel badly that she lived like this for whatever amount of time.

We don't know how she was treated for most of her 8 years, but we surmise that it wasn't always the best. She cringes when she sees a hand coming to pet her and isn't happy when we encroach on her personal space . . . although she will now encroach on ours.

But, she loves treats and we have been able to exploit that. Lacey will invade my computer desk (below) and on my chair (above) to get as many treats as possible. I'm sure that I overdo it, but when she purrs like a fool and head butts me, I can't seem to resist.



I have put treats on my shoulder and on my chest, and she has retrieved them. Eventually, she began to actually settle on us but only in that chair, not other chairs in other places.

To continue to gain her trust, I would just let her rest on me without trying to pet her, but lately, we have been able to add some petting. I still like to keep the petting sessions brief, and she will still tend to startle on first pet, but we are coming along.



I doubt that Lacey will ever be a traditional lap cat, but we are now getting our cuddly times together. That is a good thing, for if she lives a normal cat life, we will probably have her for another 8 years or so, and we want everybody to be happy and comfy in the relationship.


Addenda: Just as I posted this, she got back on the desk and positioned herself on my arm. This makes it difficult to type and mouse, but cats don't like mice anyway, so I guess it's quite alright.



And then I realize that I am writing this on the anniversary of Bella's arrival to our house. She was already 16 and not terribly healthy, but we had 7 very nice months with her.


11 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Puss is responding to kindness, as we all do. She is adorable and good for the blood pressure I bet!

Barbara Rogers said...

My last cat had been feral as a kit, but she did respond (as she demanded it) to petting. But she never was a lap cat. Cat-before-her had been a computer lover...sitting on arms, lap or the keyboard happily! Glad you've got the fur and hair all over. I'm sad not to have a cat, but don't miss the hair and litter clean-up.

Mara said...

Cats are funny creatures. And it took mine two years to find a lap to sit on for any length of time (ie: over 10 seconds).

Joanne Noragon said...

Cats are so interesting. Mine is a feral, rescued at four weeks. I think mama was transporting them and just didn't come back for him. I tell him it was because his legs are too short. He has never snuggled; he hasn't a clue. He will lay by me in bed, so that's OK. He's also a head butter. He will not eat treats, he does not trust them to not have a pill hidden. And I only did that to him once! And he will not eat human food, though one time he reached onto the counter for raw hamburger I was repackaging. He got a royal smack for that. Laura was ten when he came and now she's seventeen, so he's seven.

Mage said...

What a wonderful turn around. I hope she loves Sue too.

William Kendall said...

She is a sweetie.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You know by now, John, that people never really "own" a cat. Still, it's nice to see that a level of trust is happening with Lacey and she does look comfortable on your arm.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

She's lucky to have found such a good home after what sounds like a very sad 8 years. She has a sweet face. I'm glad she's coming around and responding.

Christina said...

It is really lovely to see how Lacey is becoming more and more trusting. She is one lucky little cat to have found a home with you and Sue.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love those head butts! Annabelle is quite good at them. You are making progress. Annie was rescued from a cold barn. I have no idea what she went through, but try not to imagine it. Good for you for taking a rescue in. It's interesting that Daisy's new mom takes in older cats, as well. It's important to give them a home. Poor Hooper was a mess of drippy, infected eyes, and sneezes. He was a LAWS rescue, but in the pet store. No one wanted him. His cute brothers were snatched up!
cheerio

MARY G said...

Well done.