Sunday, March 10, 2019

Kingston Tournament

We have eschewed travelling to JJ's out-of-town games this winter, but when Shauna offered to drive us to the final tournament of the season, we accepted.

Kingston is the best part of a 2 hour drive from here, or at least 1.5 hours, but we got to the arena and settled comfortably before the first game of the day at 11 o'clock. They had handily won their game of the previous evening, but they were in very tough against a very good team in this game.

In point of fact, our boys were completely dominated, but with good defence and goaltending, they managed to keep the score down to 2-1 (not in their favour). Their only goal had come on a breakaway.

However, in the final minutes they pulled the goalie for an extra attacker, and has luck would have it, they scored to tie the game. It was quite an amazing result.

The boys really didn't spend much time in the offensive zone all game, but I managed to get a few pictures when they did. Danica probably has more as she commandeered my camera for two of the three periods. Her photos are on my computer, but I will leave them for her to sort although I have done the basic developing on them.




The second game of the day and final game of the preliminary round was quite a trouncing. I think the final score was 14-0. I felt badly for the other team, but then I learned that they were playing up a level and probably knew what they were in for. I was impressed with both their players and the fans were very good sports.

In such a lopsided game, our coach mixed up the assignments and let JJ play offence: in the centre, below.



There were many goals and celebrations with sticks raised. Near the end of the game, JJ had a bit of a chance to score but made what is ordinarily the right play and passed the puck. I say ordinarily because he probably should have just gone for it in a game like this. But good on him for being a good teammate. Passing the puck is something that most of his teammates do with reluctance, but Jonathan is a pretty good sport.



I have just found out that they won their semi final match this (Sunday) morning and will play for the championship this afternoon. I don't think they can win, but this team has come so far this year. When I witnessed their first few games of the season, I sincerely doubted that they would win a game all season. In fact, and I'm not kidding, I wondered if they would even score a goal. In my humble opinion, the coaches have done a remarkable job while keeping on a very even keel and being good sports.

13 comments:

Mage said...

I am so impressed. Bravo grandpa. What a huge improvement from the start.

Marie Smith said...

What a huge improvement! Well done JJ and the team.

Tabor said...

Win or lose, it is the love of the challenge for all of you.

William Kendall said...

Good for them!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

A good coach can instill pride of their team in the boys ... even without a run of wins. Love the pictures of JJ.
(BY THE WAY ... the other blog entry about Joe Leberman was not supposed to be posted ... that crazy font needed to be corrected so you will see it again and I don't expect a 2nd comment.)

Barbara Rogers said...

I love the action photos. At least you must be close enough to see faces. When trying to capture soccer players I always failed.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It's great to hear their coaches have done such a good job! And I think good sportsmanship is very important and too often ignored in this "win at any cost" world.

Haddock said...

I remember reading somewhere that ice hockey is the fastest sport on earth.
Like all the action pictures here (I am poor at taking action pics)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I know you were glad to have attended those games!

Mara said...

Wow, that is some step up! Hope they can continue that next season.

Vicki Lane said...

Some very good pictures!

Shammickite said...

I think my grandies have hockey playoffs too in the near future but not at them monet as it's March Break. Well done to JJ's team for getting the tie, not easy against a good opponent.

Jenn Jilks said...

I remember all the hours getting kids to soccer tournaments!