Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A Little But Meaningful Gesture

It could have been Jonathan's final game of the season on Monday evening, that is if they had lost. But they won in a very exciting match and will have one more match on Thursday. Actually, there could be one more game after that but only if the teams play to a tie, and that is unlikely.

I was taken completely by surprise when the team called me into the dressing room pre-match. They had JJ present me with a travel mug to thank me for my photographic contribution to the team.




It was just a travel mug with a little inscription pasted on the surface, but it was such a nice gesture.


Carleton Place Kings 2018-2019, Official Team Photographer

There was even a little speech by the coach.

Card (not shown): Dear John, Thank you for the gift of your talents through our
season. It was Greatly appreciated. Atom B Kings

In the past I coached girls softball for about 7 years, sometimes head and sometimes assistant in both house league and travel. I can't recall ever being thanked even though it was a major commitment . Same with mentoring high school chess for 10 years or more, which was even more of a commitment. All I did this year was take photos as part of my little hobby, but the folk appreciated seeing them on FB, and I appreciate being appreciated.

It doesn't take much to acknowledge people and show a little gratitude. I wonder why we don't all do it more often.



10 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Volunteers don't often get recognition. I've spent hours sitting with a client over months, and heard nothing from some families. Others are, at least, gracious. Some sense of entitlement.
This was a kind gesture.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks so much for giving me some ideas...I'm aware of how our volunteers often grumble, but then sign on to do another job. But they need to be recognized more! Our organizations run on volunteers!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What a very lovely gesture and sign of appreciation. This coach is very smart to recognize your contributions.

Should Fish More said...

Congratulations to you and your team!

Tabor said...

Glad that they appreciate your efforts!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice surprise for you and even nicer that your contributions were acknowledged and appreciated, John. yes, it is always amazing that people don't take the time to say thanks even if just verbally.

Mage said...

That was very nice of them. We got a luncheon...and it was good too. But you get a cup that you can see every day. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job, grandpa, and good luck to all tomorrow.

William Kendall said...

That is very good!

Marie Smith said...

Such a great gesture and great appreciated!