Friday, March 22, 2019

Go Figure

I am sometimes surprised when I print. It can go both ways — good surprise or bad surprise.

After I photograph Jonathan's hockey games, I post the photos online on the team's FB page.

I only post small, low res pics there, just like I do here, but recently, the coach asked me for printable copies of two photos of his son. I emailed him the two files, but I also decided to print them up for him as a bit of a thank you for a job well done.




While they don't seem all that special here, they looked great large, each width being about 15". I was delightedly surprised by how good they looked.

Then, having recently sold a print where I display at the café, there was a blank spot that needed filling. I have been thinking about doing a series of our town hall, so I decided to print this photo, which I quite like, to start the series off.



But I was a little disappointed with the print. Oh, it's good enough to hang and display, but it just doesn't seem quite as good as the on-screen version. Go figure.

Such is life. When I was a young teacher, I was in the hall one day when I heard my head teacher say to a class. "That's what makes life interesting. You can never figure out what's going on."

9 comments:

Jim said...

I've been reading your posts trying to get caught up since I haven't been on your blog for months. You have been busy! Glad you're over your cold and feeling better. I am just now getting over one. Seems the older we get, the longer it takes to get over even the simplest of things. It's been a long winter in Indiana, too. Not lots of snow, but lots of "way below" temperatures. I am ready for spring to arrive. Be well!!

Marie Smith said...

The two photos for the coach look great. City hall does too but I know what you mean by disappointing sometimes when converted to print.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely photos, and of course that applies mostly to the landscape. Can I make a critique type comment? When I took photo class way back in college, I learned something that still is worth a reminder to myself (and usually provides a good judge of works) that a photo should have all the levels of light but especially needs a pure white as well as a pure black somewhere in it.

Mage said...

One thing you can do is print small and surround it with a large double matt. :)

Shammickite said...

Hockey action pictures are really difficult, and you seem to have the knack! Those darn hockey players just don't stay still long enough!!!!!

William Kendall said...

The town hall really stands out.

Kay said...

That is an awesome photo of your town hall! Wow! I’ve noticed that the quality of prints differ from company to company.

Tabor said...

It is hard to translate the luminescence shown on screen to print. You have me curious. Do you have a large format printer? Do you print in long lasting or archival inks? Just asking.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work. I haven't been to our kids sports thingies in ages. Jos is doing fencing. Iz did kondo.