Sunday, March 24, 2019

Birthday Outing

With Sue's actual birthday coming up tomorrow (Monday) we acknowledged the impending event by driving to Arnprior (a half hour north on the Ottawa River) yesterday (Saturday). It was a clear, sunny day, making the drive quite cheery as we were well protected from rather ferocious wind outside.

Our destination was the Antrim Truckstop restaurant, but I hadn't realized until yesterday that the restaurant part of the complex is called The Hangar. How I missed that imposing sign before, I know not.



The Hangar no better for breakfast than restaurants close by, but it was a nice day for a drive. And we haven't really gone for a drive for quite a long time: not a proper one, at least.

We each had the usual bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast, but we also ordered French toast, which we shared. I never seem to remember to take pictures of food, and yesterday was no exception. It's odd; I recently met another photographer whose main interest, or one of them, is food photography. I don't quite get it, but chacun à son goût as folk are wont to say.

But I did remember to take a photo of the birthday girl as she was sipping coffee.



We live in a very rural county, which has a few moderate-size towns but no cities, so when we went to call in on friends who live way back on a rural road, we passed quite a few snow-covered fields. I got out at one stop and waded in just a bit, and the snow was pretty well up to my knees, which is where this shot was taken.



As you can easily see, although it is spring by the calendar, it is still winter on the land. This was from another quick roadside stop. Mainly, I wanted the fence and only later realized that the red thing in the background was a horse ... and the blue thing as well.



It was really nice to get out and about. This afternoon, we will be off to do gifts and party with Sha and the kids as the birthday continues.


9 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

Those are some cheery photos, John. A lot of birthday happiness spreading around. And, Happy Birthday, Sue. Make it a good, long birthday week.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This sounds lovely! And the birthday girl looks beautiful. I am so tired of winter, but you have had far more than we have.

Marie Smith said...

Lots of snow there still.

Happy birthday Sue!

Tabor said...

That is my favorite of the photos you post of your partner in life.

William Kendall said...

I've been at that restaurant a couple of times.

Jim said...

Happy Birthday, Sue from north central Indiana. It's about 50F and raining and not a bit of snow in sight. Have a wonderful day celebrating.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Happy belated birthday, Sue. Lovely photo! I always enjoy getting out and about, even just for a good long ride.

Kay said...

Happy Birthday to your Sue. She looks gorgeous even close up. I always tell Art to stand back, way, way way back if he's taking a photo of me.

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy birthday to Sue!
Lots of fun. I was so surprised with the snow in Ottawa.
And the stuff last night! sigh.