Friday, March 01, 2024

The Trumpeters Fly By

I most certainly did not have the time to take a photo, but this is what I saw. (photo credit:: https://wildlife-species.canada.ca/bird-status/oiseau-bird-eng.aspx)

I was in the driveway bringing groceries in from the car when I heard a loud and odd sort of honking. It didn't sound like Canada Geese, so I looked up to see two gorgeous, long-necked trumpeters flying overhead.

I was moved. I've only seen trumpeter swans a few times and at a bit of a distance but here were two beautiful creatures doing a flyby, just for my benefit, or so it seemed.

Believe or not, I heard more honking (if that is the right word), and another pair flew by on my other side.

While such sights may not be uncommon for some, as far as I can recall, this was a first for me in my almost 77 years of taking breath, and I was thrilled.

I am reminded of not seeing my first hummingbird until close to my fifth decade. I was emotional then as well.

I leave you with this photo of mine from January. They may very well be the same swans, for I have heard that are still hanging around these parts and our frequently see in this very same spot.

My picture from this January

FYI: This site describes their sound like this: Distinct two-noted "oh-oh" call with quality of a brass trumpet. Click the link to hear some sample audios. Its at the bottom right of that page.


19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a wonderful gift those beautiful birds gave you! Not only their beauty, but their calls as well. So glad you had that occasion!

Boud said...

Lovely sighting! You're rightly excited about it.

DrumMajor said...

Those are beautiful. I almost get confused when I hear geese and ducks flying north or south: first I hear them, then I see them. The movie "Fly Away Home" is amazing, based on a true story of geese who imprinted on humans, and had to be taught how to get south. Linda in Kansas

Ed said...

Although I have seen them a few times, I have never heard their call nor seen them flying. But I see thousands of your Canadian geese fly by usually in the fall. Just writing this causes me to ponder why I never see many flying south in the spring. Perhaps they take a circular route?

Marie Smith said...

Such beauties. A thrill indeed!

DJan said...

What a gift! Thanks for sharing it with your readers.

Jeanie said...

Now THAT would be a sight. I'm glad you had your camera at hand!

gigi-hawaii said...

Awesome! I have never seen them fly, either.

Margaret said...

I would be thrilled too! Hopefully I would have known what they were instead of thinking, "What strange looking geese!"

RedPat said...

How wonderful! I have never seen them in flight either.

Damselfly said...

What a wonderful experience!

roentare said...

True artistic shot!

Luis Serrano said...

Preciosas aves con un modo magnifico y muy estético de volar. Una gran foto

Red said...

Why is it that your best shot always happens when you don't have a camera?

Debby said...

We have two swans that nest in a quiet cove on our river. I'll have to look for their return. Thanks for letting me know they are on their way!

The Furry Gnome said...

We do see Trumpeter pairs in the summer sometimes.

Kay said...

Wow! Those are absolutely gorgeous, graceful birds. And they're so huge.

MARY G said...

I had that happen once. It was, yes, a real thrill.
Speaking of honking, we have geese on the beaver pond. Which is open, obviously, or they would not be there.
This weather is lovely, but frightening to think of in terms of overall climate.

William Kendall said...

Very graceful.