Wednesday, March 06, 2024

It's All About the Light

For the previous two years, Sue's photo group has called for her to photograph the same location in each of the four seasons. This year, they ask her to return to the location of her choice on the 5th of each month. It can be tricky here where we have such a real winter because we can't get to some locations in winter — or at least in a normal winter. Due to accessibility, we have to choose carefully.

This year, we chose the entrance to the park nearest to us. This meant that we wouldn't have to struggle to get into the park in order to get to the chosen spot, but the view would still be acceptable. A photo of a beautiful cover of snow could be pretty nice too.

The trouble is that there haven't been many great winter photos this year. While there was snow in February is was not one of those dreamy winter photos. 

We checked it out around noon on the 4th, and the scene was uninspiringly drab without snow and also with no rising of spring colour. I suggested that we should return when the sun was low behind us, to see if and how it would light up the park. Well, it certainly did.

We are reminded that photography is about the light.

This ↓ is approximately where Sue will take her photo on every 5th of the month. At about 5:30, you can see the long shadows, mine included. The light is warm in the low sunlight whereas it had been somewhat stark when we had checked closer to noon. 


There were geese on the pond, and the two by the little peninsula caught my eye. I like their reflections as well as the tree reflections. We came at a good time, both in terms of the time of day and for the calmness which gave us the reflections.


I tried to situate the geese well in the frame.


Speaking of frames, I decided to try a shot through the branches, and I like the result well enough. In a photo like this, something pretty well has to be a bit unsharp, but I can accept the somewhat blurry branches for the sake of the composition.

I seldom think to capture video, but here is a very short clip of the geese and their honking.



Here is Sue's composite of the scene. She returned the next day, which was the proper day for the photo, and put it in a composite. She also got clouds in the sky, which doesn't always happen.



19 comments:

Granny Sue said...

A lot of nice photos here, AC. I really like Sue's composite, as it reflects the monthly change. Great idea for a photo project.

Barbara Rogers said...

what a fun and difficult assignment...er challenge! These are quite nice.

Vicki Lane said...

Excellent capture of the light!

Jeanie said...

I love how the branches frame the geese in the pond. It's a fun challenge -- and this year, a challenge!

RedPat said...

Sue's composite works well.
I love the warmth of the light in your shots. It is hard to pick a favourite.

gigi-hawaii said...

I prefer your photos over Sue's. I like the ones of the geese and the reflection on the water. Love the brown hues too. Frameable art.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a fun project!
I'm having trouble taking good iPhone photos. I really ought to do some research. Not that I would remember it once I read it! :-)

Marie Smith said...

Love this series. It is all about the light!

Sandra said...

These are lovely photos! What a good idea.

Margaret said...

Wonderful shots! Photos are indeed about the light or lack thereof. I love the geese photos although I'm not at all fond of the creatures since they've chased me and been aggressive. I like them fine in pictures but not in real life!

VENTANA DE FOTO said...

Las fotografías han quedado muy bien y la luz que las ilumina es muy acertada.
Además me ha gustado el breve vídeo que has hecho.

roentare said...

Truly paint with light. Seasons, timings and locations are all very important

Red said...

This looks like something good as the photos change with the seasons.

MARY G said...

Oh my yes. The 'long light'. And I love Sue's composite. Is there any way I can see more of what she is doing? Without joining what sounds like a group that requires you to do a lot of work.
About the fuzzy frame. I have tried taking two photos, one in each focus, and then dropping the centre of the long focus into the hole in the short focus. It does not always work, but when it does, it really does. Just crop and drop - very little edit needed.

Luis Serrano said...

Verdaderamente el reto no resultaba fácil, pero lo habéis logrado con nota muy alta. Es un gran trabajo.
Me llamó la atención el buen punto de vista y la hora del día que elegiste en la primera de las fotos con la luz baja y vuestras sombras alargándose
Excelente trabajo. Abrazo

Debby said...

And this is what makes you both so good at this. The light would have never even occured to me.

The Furry Gnome said...

I always said 90% of great photography is being there when the lighting is right.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I love the blurry branches composition. xoxo

Kay said...

I'm really liking that composite shot of the tree months. That's really interesting.