Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Double Exposure Experiments

As I posted yesterday, Sue's Noise POTD, took us to the bridges, but while she was photographing noise, I decided to try experimenting with double exposures. I was just shooting in the dark, so to speak, since I have no idea what I am doing other than taking two consecutive photos. I did it all in camera: that is, I let the camera combine my two images in each case.

Since I was by the river, I would take a photo pointing at the waves, which seems to be what I was doing in this image ↓ that Sue took of me.

Those are my heated mitts dangling. They heat well, and the fact that they're attached
means that I don't have to fret about where they are. However, I hadn't really needed
them on this day. It wasn't hot, but neither was it that cold.

Then I would point the camera at something else in the vicinity. In this case I chose the opposite riverbank and those two larger trees. This ↓ is how the camera superimposed the two, with some of the whitewater overlaying the scene.


We walked over to the trail bridge, where I first pointed my camera at some icy branches hanging just below the bridge before shifting back to the road bridge that we had just left.


Also from the trail bridge, first the whitewater, and then the old machine shop.


Finally, how could I resist one double exposure using town hall as one part of it? I think this is the best result because it looks like a huge wave is sweeping over the building. I must admit that it was weak in colour, but I like it in mono, especially after I gritted it up a bit by ramping up the texture slider.


I have tried this technique a few times previously but not enough to get good at it. I don't think that I have the kind of vision to do well with this kind of photography because I really have no clue about how two images will blend together, but it it makes for fun little experiment.


20 comments:

Granny Sue said...

The last one is great! Really a sense of impending disaster there. This is an interesting experiment, AC.

DJan said...

I like that last one, too.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

For weird and unique! I have never tried that, I will have to see if my camera is capable of doing that.

Sandra said...

I like them all, but the last one is great! Straight out of a disaster movie.

Marie Smith said...

Playing with the camera again I see. I like the results!

Margaret said...

Very creative!

gigi-hawaii said...

Have fun playing with the camera. The results are interesting.

Beatrice said...

I agree with your assessment and that of those who commented earlier in that the final image looks the most disastrous. I have never tried this technique with digital camera, but can remember that it could be done with film models.

roentare said...

The motion blur from snow ridden leaves is a form of art! Love it.

MARY G said...

Interesting. Cameras can do weird things.

Luis Serrano said...

Me gusta como ver que personas aficionadas a la fotografĂ­a no se estancan en hacer siempre lo mismo e investigan nuevas posibilidades y caminos alternativos. Bien por tu manera de interesarte en descubrir nuevos caminos.

Jeanie said...

Some of these are very interesting -- almost otherworldly, like the snow scenes.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm OK with the branches double exposure, but the wave overlay messed with my eyes and brain and stomach.

PipeTobacco said...

What does the setting look like on your camera for that? It seems fun . My DSLR is likely too old to have it I suppose.

PipeTobacco

Red said...

Well, that is really cool.

Anvilcloud said...

@Pipe. It is probably buried deep in the menus.

dellgirl said...

I like this experiment! Your photos are interesting and beautiful, as usual. I LOVE these eye-catching shots you managed to get. Thank you for sharing these with us. Wishing you All the Best, my friend.

Debby said...

Have you ever thought of trying to shoot a scene during the spring, and then the same shot in the winter. If you could 'stack' them perfectly, making the winter scene stronger than the spring, it would look as if the world is sleeping, dreaming of another season. It would also be interesting to over lap historic pictures with the modern shots. Grave markers with the ghostly images of the person when alive. Oh my. The things my twisty little mind comes up with.

Debby said...

OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!! I'll bet you could do some cool things with pictures of your grands as toddlers overlapped with current pictures of them.

William Kendall said...

Very creative!