Thursday, March 28, 2024

Cordwood House Double Exposure

I have another double exposure session to share with you, and there will likely be more a'comin down the pipe. How much more, I don't know, but the snow is gone, and the green is yet to come, so regular photography is not all that appealing right now. At least it isn't very appealing for plods such as I, who mainly just shoot when we are wandering about just seeing what might attract our attention.

As is so often the case, our recent adventure, yesterday, was inspired by Sue's needs. Her assignment was to photograph a house. Of course, she wanted a house with something of interest and remembered this house in the nearby hamlet of Appleton.


It is a cordwood construction with the ends of logs set into the thick walls. You can learn a little about this technique here.

In addition to the regular photo, above, I decided to photograph a nearby bush first to begin a double exposure. This version is in b&w.


The camera superimposed them (actually similar photos) like this ↓ .


It is possible to create a double exposure effect in Photoshop, which is what I did in the next photo, where I combined the first and second photos. I decided upon a somewhat more subtle overlay than what the camera had rendered.


What I am primarily interested in right now, aside from just having fun, is seeing what the camera will yield and not what I can fashion in edit. As I continue to experiment, I will be following the camera's output, probably exclusively.


17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Photography is such a great hobby! Interesting how you can combine the images with the camera. There are so many settings on my latest camera but I don’t explore any, just the regular and bird settings.

Barbara Rogers said...

This new adventure in double exposure is a bit difficult on my eyes early in my day...however, I do support creative endeavors! So, I'll be happy to see you going through this process, finding what pleases you. It's always a fun thing to do, new endeavors when nothing old is available!

Sandra said...

The first double exposure looks like the house id behind bramble and shrouded in fog.

MARY G said...

I think that the heavier one works better. It is a fun thing to do, for sure. I am inspired to read my manual to see if I can do it. As you say, the landscape is not an inspiration at present. And the damn deer ate the tiny shoots of the lilies again, so I don't even have those to record. I wonder if I mention venison loudly on the back lawn, it might deter them?

Margaret said...

You can do so much with photography, AC! I love that house--so unusual. I've never seen one like it.

RedPat said...

I really am not very adventurish but you seem to have so much fun with your shots.

roentare said...

Double exposure is what I used to do in the film days. The leopard skin like wall is surely unique

Luis Serrano said...

Buen mirada y buen trabajo de investigación a cerca de la doble exposición.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I knew a family who built there place out of cord wood.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

The house is interesting enough in itself but add the double exposure and it is DOUBLEY interesting!

Granny Sue said...

That house is certainly quirky! What an interesting way to build. And great for photo ops too.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I can remember trying to achieve this with film cameras. Quite a challenge! I'm a self-taught Photoshopper, and really enjoy learning how to edit.

Vicki Lane said...

Neat looking house. And I really like the double exposure treatment.

Jeanie said...

I love seeing you play with this! It's something I've never done on purpose but it's very fun to see!

The Furry Gnome said...

Double exposures always throw me off because my vision isn't that good, but that cordwood house is really neat!

Jenn Jilks said...

You are creative! Glad you are having fun.

Kay said...

Wow! That is an interesting house.