Monday, March 25, 2024

Catching Up

I thought that I should check in. For a guy who often posts daily, I think I have only blogged once in the past week. It's odd because I sometimes have five posts waiting in the queue, but it has now been five days since I blogged at all.

At least partially, it must be the time of year. The snow is gone, but it was been wintry cold lately. We've had a few quick, chilly, and uninspiring walks in the neighbourhood in stiff breezes. I haven't usually bothered to even port my little camera. 

We have had one more birthday breakfast, this one with B&B, since I posted last, but nobody thought to take pictures. However, today is a little nicer, so I think Sue wants to walk by the back bridges to capture a photo that implies sound by using the rushing whitewater. I think I may even relent and take my big camera.

Speaking of Sue, today is her actual birthday. Sha and the kids will come by for a pizza supper so no one has to cook or clean up messes. I suppose pizza isn't all that special, but we've had a few special outings already. We would probably get Chinese takeout, but it is Monday, and we are in a town, and smalltown shops and restaurants do tend to be closed.

I have passed quite a bit of time reading Rhys Dylan's, DCI Evan Warlow's, series. I scored the initial volume, The Engine House, as a freebie and liked it well enough that I have since ordered and read the next four installments. So far, they have remained fairly inexpensive, but I imagine that will change as I get to the more recent of the twelve  titles. So yes, I have been on a wee bit of a reading binge in the past week or so, which may also partially explain my lack of posting here.

Ever since I was a kid,  I have been drawn to series literature. I started with The Bobbsey Twins and moved onto the Hardy Boys and other series such as Chip Hilton and Bronc Burnett. The nice thing about a series is that you can usually trust things to work out at the end of the narrative. Then, the friends that you have made appear in the next volume, and you get to spend even more time with them. The other nice thing about catching a long series like this is that I can binge read. After I finish one novel, I can easily, and perhaps too easily, click to download the next episode.


21 comments:

Jenny the Pirate said...

I wish the happiest of birthdays to your Sue and I'm sure your celebration with Sha will be truly wonderful, as you'll all be together. I too enjoy series literature; I believe that the first I ever read was the Little House on the Prairie books, when I was a kid, and which I bought several years ago for granddaughter Allissa, who has now passed them down to her cousin, granddaughter Dagny. In later life I think my life was actually saved in a way, by Jan Karon's Mitford series. Long story but suffice to say, the characters were so beloved by me that I wish I could go back to when I didn't know them, and discover them all over again. I'm going to see if the DCI Evan Warlow books are on Audible! If so I may give one of them a try. Happy new week! xoxo

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to hear from you again, stranger! Yes to reading a series of books by an author. I'm positive my best reading experiences are that of favorite authors...reading and re-reading even. Looking forward to your next photos...

Vicki Lane said...

Happy Birthday to Sue! And wintry weather is perfect for reading binges--I'm currently rereading all my Harlan Coben Myron Bolitar mysteries. Like old friends.

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy birthday, Sue. Aloha from Hawaii. I read "Nancy Drew" books in 6th grade.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Sue!
Have you tried reading Louise Penney crime/mystery novels? She is a brilliant Canadian author. Many of her stories incorporate situations we all remember. Her books are best read in order as stories sometimes refer back to another case or character.

Sandra said...

Hi! I also read and still have the Nancy Drew books. Sometimes a person just needs a break. I get books from the digital library and always get one after the other. It's my afternoon activity. Happy Birthday to Sue.

Margaret said...

I love mysteries and police procedurals but if I get hooked on a series, I have to read every single book. It can be a lot of pressure. Happy Birthday to Sue--and many more!

Ed said...

Many years ago, I went to a three post a week schedule which took the pressure off of not writing for a week if I didn't have something to write about. But then when you go on vacation and have tons of things to write about, I occasionally switch back to the daily posts just so things are more timely.

RedPat said...

I love to read series too and recommend the Louise Penney books too.

MARY G said...

Oh good. I was starting to wonder where you were. Happy pizza and hugs to Sue. I read series too. Formula and all. Yeah. Bobsy twins, boring as, um, you know where, but I had to read them Also all of LM Montgomery's Anne books. Don't do it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wish Sue a wonderful Happy Birthday!

roentare said...

Doldrum comes and goes for me too. I have not touched my infra-red camera for months. So are the street candids. Guess what that I am binge watching sex education on Netflix lol

Jenn Jilks said...

I've the doldrums, as well. I hear you.

I like reading a series, as well. I like getting to know characters, and seeing them develop. I'm on Kate Atkinson right now. Jackson Brodie.

DJan said...

Happy birthday to Sue! And I think there is never a bad time to have pizza. If it's a good one, anyway. :-)

Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday, Sue. Hope it was a great day! I love series of books too. The library is great for many titles in a series.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good to know we all devoured the episodes of youth. Happy birthday to Sue.

Kay said...

It takes me a while to finish a book since I only read before falling asleep in bed. Happy Birthday to Sue! Pizza would be special for us.

Jeanie said...

I hope I'm not too late to weigh in on birthday greetings for Sue! May it be the first day of many wonderful ones in her new year.

And I'm with you on series books. you bond with them -- and the characters!

Patio Postcards said...

IMO, pizza is the best food :) Happy Birthday to Sue. I really enjoy books that are in a series. One of my favourites has 34 books - The Morland Dynasty. Looking forward to seeing your photos from your adventure back to the bridges.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Posting daily is quite an accomplishment which many bloggers seem to achieve. We also did so years ago we were both posting and living in VA sharing our experiences of home renovations and gardening. Reading a series is fun and enjoyable for most of the reasons you mentioned and I am currently listening to a favorite. Looking forward to reading about Sue’s 🎂celebration.

William Kendall said...

I've been having trouble the last while keeping up with blog reading. Pizza is always welcome.