Friday, March 08, 2024

First Flowers of Spring

It's not spring yet, but it feels like it on some days. Last year, I found snowdrops in a little spot in town. I checked it out this week, and, sure enough, they were in bloom. This ↓ is the spot, and that is me.

As you can see, tiny plants lie in a little plot of ground between the sidewalk and a heritage house that almost abuts the sidewalk. Snowdrops are only a few inches off the ground, and I didn't know how I was going to manage with my macro lens, which is what I was determined to use. How in the world could I get down to their level? We had ported a little stepstool from the house, and that did the trick.

When I look at the photo, I am tempted to wonder about that weird man.
Who is he? He looks so old.

Sue had her own solution to getting her phone down to the level of the flowers. She attached the phone to her tripod, and as you can see, she got it quite close. But it was tough, especially as her phone doesn't have a macro lens. 

The shadows were deliberate, and you can see how little the flowers were.
In passing, notice the tiny brown leaves on the hedge beside Sue,
for we shall get back to them,

I was able to get two decent, macro photos although they both required a bit of cleanup in edit as there were spots of dirt on the petals.



I am chuffed to get these shots, for the first time that I ever saw snowdrops was at my dad's house about 40 years ago. Aside from this patch, which I discovered only last year, I think that was the only time that I have seen them other than in pictures.

If you will recall, I asked you to take a gander at the tiny leaves on the hedge. Well, I did take a photo, and, all things considered, I like it too.

So it begins, although I don't expect that spring will come galloping apace from here on. It is on its way though.

21 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We thought spring was on its way too. Then we got all the snow back yesterday! Yuck! Snowdrop shots are lovely, AC.

Boud said...

I love snow drops. Mine are finished for the year.

Jeanie said...

Those photos are both lovely. I've never seen snowdrops except in photos. I need to find some bulbs to plant this year.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice photos. I don't see them in Hawaii.

Barbara Rogers said...

What lovely macros and phone camera shots these are...exploring the process of capturing the darling little snowdrops and leaf buds. I've never seen them growing, though a friend did bring a tiny pot of them to pass around to some group function once.

Marcia said...

The sky is a lovely shade of blue as I write this. No snow to be seen though we had frost over night (good for sap collection). Birds seem to think it's spring. Daughter said she had snow drops blooming in her south facing garden. I haven't seen any sprigs of green yet but it won't be long.
It's definitely mud season. An electrician who was to give us an estimate said her road is impassable so she's stuck at home. She'll do the job in April.

Sandra said...

The leaf photo kind of looks like a moth to me. Really lovely photos.

Christina said...

Snowdrops! Love them. Ours are finished for the year, we get them as early as January. Your photos of the flowers are just stunning. I have tried and failed to take a good photo of snowdrops but short of lying on the ground, they are just too close to the ground.

Margaret said...

I swear I've never seen a snowdrop. Do we even have them? They are so delicately beautiful.

RedPat said...

I've been seeing Snowdrops popping up all over the city. I have even seen a few Scilla buds popping up. Crazy year.

DJan said...

I love seeing snowdrops as the first sign of spring.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The snowdrops are beautiful, AC, and your diligence on trying to get a good macro shot did pay off. Admittedly, I would not have been able to kneel down so the stool was a great plan.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

The step stool is a brilliant solution. Probably helps steady the lens, too. You can now call it your "macro stool"! Beautiful photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll bet you were over the moon with these! Good work.

Luis Serrano said...

Es cierto amigo, habrá que esperar un tiempo antes de que la primavera haga acto de presencia con decisión pero, tu y Sue habéis logrado una estupendas flores que ya anuncian. Abrazo

Joanne Noragon said...

The snowdrops are such a find. I wondered how you would get down there. Good job.

Red said...

With lots of bight spring sunlight plants will develop even though it's too early.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Wow those are good shots of the flowers, and you and Sue look pretty impressive too. I love my macro lens. xoxo

Kay said...

Your snowdrops are beautifully artistic, John. Very impressive!

Granny Sue said...

Such delicate little flowers. I need to plant some.

MARY G said...

Nicely done. I have a stepstool like that. Must put it in the car. And I love the brown leaves.