Saturday, March 02, 2024

Icicles Revisited and Reimagined

Many photographers do not love post-processing (ie editing) their photos. Most do some editing, however, because it is necessary to reveal the scene properly. That said, they try to get it as right as possible in the camera. Well, most of us try to get it right in camera, but some of us also enjoy playing about with photos in post.

Usually, I try to use post-processing to get the photo to look, more or less, as it was when I snapped it. That is sometimes easier said than done because cameras and humans tend to see the world differently. Occasionally, however, I am moved to push the pixels a little more, especially now that AI is available, for it is fun to play with

I have used AI, which Adobe calls Generative Fill, in the following case.

You may recall this photo of icicles from January; there was nothing special done to it, and I like it well enough.


The next few times, we passed by, the icicles were gone, but one day they were back, so I took another photo. It's dead on, so I don't like it as much as the first one, but here it is after some basic editing.


I then sent it from Lightroom to Photoshop to get rid of the yellow thing at the bottom right, and for better or worse, I also chose to crop away the other buildings at the top. I really don't mind them there and would probably leave them in on another day when I would be in a different mood.

I'll show you the end-result now and will, afterward, also reveal the other changes that I made.


I changed to photo to b&w, but I left the window frame coloured. I also enlarged the window just a bit. Finally, I used AI to put a picture inside the frame, for it was just plain cardboard originally. I was thinking that, just perhaps, we might think that the snowy truck might be a reflection. Whether it looks like that or not, I think it is an improvement over the cardboard.

I do think that if I were to take one more shot at editing the image that I would leave it uncropped and in colour but still treat the window as I did in this experiment.

I know that ye non-photographers don't care a jot about my photographic machinations, but thanks for putting up with my occasional forays into the my world.

Addendum: What the heck! I've had this in the queue so long that I've gone ahead and done the other version that I imagined. I did make the window just a little bit larger (again!) in the process and also moved it to be a little more centered horizontally in the black wall.






16 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your machinations as you called them are always interesting to myself, AC. The truck does look better than the cardboard even if some might think it unrealistic. I have not experimented in the field of AI so appreciate seeing what other folks have been doing.

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy how you play with the photos, AC. A great hobby!

Barbara Rogers said...

That last one is charming!

Sandra said...

I really like the last one! I don't know anything about AI other than it exists.

Margaret said...

Although I enjoy the products, I'm also fascinated by the processes and the decisions. I have no eye, so I'm amazed by how you can "see" what changes/enhancements to make.

Luis Serrano said...

No estoy muy a favor de la AI pero entiendo que otros les guste incluso a algunos les apasione. Tu trabajo es magnifico y desde luego no hay nada que criticar. Respeto siempre las decisiones y maneras de ver la supuesta realidad que los demás tiene n y como actúan sobre ella. Tiene mucho merito. Un abrazo

RedPat said...

I like the last one too. I like the other buildings in the shot - they give it context.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like the results of your machinations. One place I find editing really helps is on bright snow (which we used to get a lot in the days of my snowshoeing and cross-country skiing). The camera really does darken the scene unrealistically, so I adjust it.

roentare said...

The icicles are looking great. Some unique scenery I don't access to

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such a good eye!

Red said...

This non photographer likes to see how and why you think when you put photos together.

Granny Sue said...

Interesting to follow your thoughts and processes. I don't think I would ever have the patience for that kind of work myself.

Kay said...

I haven't played around with the AI thing much. Haven't figured out how to actually add AI to a photo you already took, but it sure looks like fun.

Jeanie said...

Hmmm. Not sure I'm a fan of adding the car image to the later ones. About the only editing I try to do on pix is cropping and adding either brightness or contrast, especially if the lighting was bad. I don't always correct things (I'm very bad at taking out glare and such and make it worse.) But changing subject, adding, etc. goes against my journalism grain!

MARY G said...

Clever. I might have just done a quick cover on the 'yellow thing' to see what would happen.
And, with Jeanie, I am not sure about the car image. Although the idea is a great one. What would it look like with, say, green trees in the frame. The problem I see with the car is that it is positioned wrong to be a reflection and that bugs me.

William Kendall said...

I pretty much just post pics as they're taken.