Sunday, May 15, 2022

Trilliums 2022

It’s trillium time in Ontario, at least it is in our corner of this vast province. It’s our official provincial flower. I repeat that information every year or close enough. I try to make it a point to get a photo or three, but I just managed one this year.

They grow on the edges of shaded, woodsy roadsides. I suppose they grow in lots of other places too, but that’s where I see them when I’m driving around.  Except I don’t really see them when I’m just casually driving around. I have a idea of when and where to look, and when is now.

It was a hot day, and the light was up too much, and most of the flowers were a little way back from the road: places that I couldn’t easily access. They’re low, and I wasn’t much inclined to get down to their level, so I used my moderate telephoto lens to look for compositions.

The only take that I was at all happy with was this one that I posted above. In this patch, the flowers were strewn about chaotically, and the bramble around them was also busy and messy. I decided that these four flowers lined up in a somewhat orderly fashion, and I used a very wide aperture to try to fuzz out the messy branches as best as I could. It more or less worked. It’s not my best trillium photo ever, but it’s the one for this year unless I find another patch, but it will have to be soon or not at all.

13 comments:

Boud said...

Chaotic nature! I don't think I've ever seen a trillium. I must check if we have them around here. Soon.

Marcia said...

We seem to be in the same timetable for trillium blooms.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ours seem small this year.
It was a cold April.
Do you remember those red and white tulips for the 150th? I have 5 in the garden. I thought of you and yours visiting that tulip garden.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These are lovely early bloom and I can imagine you need to stoop rather low to get some good shots, which would make it even more of a challenge.

MARY G said...

Today's rain might bring along some of the smaller ones. I can give you one location - intersection of Sugarbush Way and the Lodore Road, close to our place. But put your bug repellant one.

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, there you are...the lost blog post, thanks to blogger. I know you post most days, and when I read your comment I realized I hadn't see your blog listed for today. This happens almost weekly. Your blog is the only one, at that. Aren't you glad? I'm not. It's frustrating me, and I hate it. Well...to comment on your trilium...trillia? They are certainly beautiful. The ones I've seen usually have bigger leaves which kind of set the blooms off...and less of the background comes up. May be a result of where they are growing! It's too hot now here to have any I think.

Margaret said...

They are very delicate indeed. It's HOT, you say? Whattt?

RedPat said...

The heat is going to end their flowers soon. I think your shot works well.

DJan said...

They are really beautiful. More frilly than our variety.

William Kendall said...

There's a spot in Commissioners Park where they bloom near the tulips. I photographed them some days ago.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I haven't been out in woods this year.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

Trillium is a favorite of mine and I always try to get at least one image a year, too! You got a fine one. This would make such a beautiful banner -- I love the horizontal, panoramic cropping.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ours are so teeny this year!