Thursday, May 12, 2022

Pity Party

When I posted that I had to make do with only 2 hours of sleep after I stopped a certain medication on Sunday night, I was leery about possibly succumbing to more poor sleeps. The next night was better at 6.5 hours, but that has been as good as it was going to get. 

Indeed, last night was very poor as I shuffled from bed to chair and back again, while also enduring some intestinal cramps just to put the icing on my cake of misery. I had gone months, it seems, without any of those nasty cramps, but they have descended upon me in all of the last four nights. I’ve had worse, but they have been bad enough and quite a nuisance.

So I am not sure how much sleep I got last night and when I am restless, even the sleep app on my watch is unreliable. So, I’ll put it at maybe 3 good hours and another fitful hour or so  

In any case, I gave it up as a lost cause at 4:30. It wasn’t Sue’s mellifluous sonata that was responsible, for I was awake anyway, but she was in good form. When I can hear the noise that loudly without my hearing aids, ya just gotta know that the volume was prodigious.

I didn’t bother with coffee but went for about a 20 minute drive, hooking for a sunrise over the river. It was cloudy, and I have nothing to reveal to you. Sigh.

Thanks for participating in my personal pity party. 

16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Sad! Not even a sunrise. But I admire you for going to look.

Barbara Rogers said...

OK, I can add that I couldn't even find your post. Blogger is again not listing your latest over in my column of blogs I've titled "From anywhere." You, poor thing, had disappeared into the ether. But I, poor thing that I am, remembered your existence, and went looking for you. You can't hide from me! So blogger may have slipped up, but you are typing your awful nightmare of a night, and I'm here to read all about it! Poor poor you!

Ed said...

I don't miss much of my youth but I do miss my ability to sleep long hours uninterrupted. I would pay a pretty penny to regain that ability.

Tabor said...

I recently dramatically reduced a medicine and was unable to sleep. I was wired, so I can sympathize. I have never felt that I should get out and take a photo of a sunrise but now if I do, I wonder if I am driving past other insomniac photographers>

MARY G said...

Cripes! I got the same thing from JG this morning, minus the complaints about snoring.
Have a nap. Have two.
Looking forward to dawn photos.

Margaret said...

It is dreary and discouraging not to be able to sleep and to be awake in the wee hours when it's so dark and quiet. You are entitled to your pity party!

DrumMajor said...

Gosh, what a bummer. Can you return to your meds that let you sleep better? Or some melatonin? Have an all-day nap and go catch the sunSET scene. Linda in Kansas

Marcia said...

I guess that explains no post yesterday. Sounds like a terrible combination: snoring wife, stomach cramps, and insomnia. Must be a cure somewhere for you. What does the doctor say?

PipeTobacco said...

With the advent of the returning poor sleep patterns, might I suggest looking closely at your water consumption? Especially with the medication change you report, if your fluid intake has been lower than typical….. or if you are losing more water due to warmer temperatures, your metabolism may be being impacted by insufficient fluids. You may want to consider upping fluid intake for a few days and seeing if it helps sleep. Pineal gland release of melatonin can also be shaped by variations in fluid intake.

PipeTobacco

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sometimes, sleep can be overrated, but when you are getting so little some nights it can be exhausting, I'm sure. Too bad that there wasn't even a decent sunrise.

Red said...

I've had your fun of getting vey little sleep.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can only hope things turn round for you.

Marie Smith said...

My sleep overnight is poor. I take naps but nights are long…

Jeanie said...

Sleep or lack of it is a huge big deal. So, you have my sympathies!

William Kendall said...

It's rare that I have a bad night.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so sorry. That is really tough. JB's had a cough for months, and woke himself up coughing. He's using his puffer. It is awful.