Saturday, May 07, 2022

They Were Not Always Like This

Please give me one more day on the current topic which impassions us. I think this may be new information  for many of you.

First, please look at this table and see how universally, evangelicals are against women's reproductive rights and freedom. They are the only religious group to hold such an opinion. Other protestant groups do not share their opinion. Neither do Catholics for that matter.


You may be tempted to shrug and wonder "What else is new?" but the following clip reveals that it wasn't always thus. At one time, in the early 70s, evangelical leaders were unconcerned. Then it became a wedge and money issue.

Frank Schaeffer and his father Francis were on the ground floor of the movement; he knows whereof he speaks. He is now an exvangelical with very different views.

This is the full version of Frank Schaeffer's CNN interview, which I posted yesterday. You will hear him reveal that in the early 70s, evangelical leaders were uninterested in the abortion issue and that some were even pro choice. You will also hear his view, from the inside of the movement, that it was all about the money.

The whole clip is ~20 minutes, but I have cued it to begin at the 7 minute mark where he discusses in more detail what I just write above. The most relevant part lasts for about 5 minutes, but the whole 20 minute interview is very worthwhile in my opinion. However, I know that even 5 minutes is a lot of time when someone is cruising their way through multiple blog posts.


It may seem like I am beating the drum, and I guess I am a bit, but I feel that this is mainly informative and new information for many of us. I have mainly just been sharing information, and I promise to leave the topic alone now, for this blog only gets political in short bursts before it gets back to cats and things. Lacey sends here Caturday regards by the way 😎

12 comments:

DJan said...

I am horrified by that statistic. What a terrible time in the history of the US. But I appreciate you bringing it up and showing where it comes from. Money.

Debby said...

I've given up social media at this point. It is such a personal issue and it is being publicized and politicized by people in high places who have nothing to lose by changing things. It is the poor and the marginalized who will pay the price.

Marcia said...

You would think our Supreme Court would reflect the views of the majority of Americans and that would be the case if Obama's pick had been confirmed and the replacement for RBG had been after Biden's inauguration.

Where does Canada stand on the issue?

Margaret said...

It is so important that I'm glad you're blogging about it. I am sick at heart and angry. Afraid. And I'm not even of reproductive age!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Some of us may miss information at some point or another, so it is a good thing to bring items like this to our attention even if the news is so disheartenting.

William Kendall said...

It is depressing.

Marie Smith said...

It isn’t surprising that money is behind the whole anti-abortion movement.

Blondi Blathers said...

Abortion is a horrible, horrible thing, but so is pregnancy and childbirth when you don't want them, and no one makes either choice lightly. People who wish to force their own choices on women are extremely misguided and I wish an unwanted pregnancy on every last one of them. Then they'd understand. Or would they? It doesn't matter. Some people still wouldn't know which end is up. -Kate

Red said...

The evangelicals keep beating on the abortion issue. They are unreasonable in their dealing with the issue. I applaud you for bringing up the issue .

peppylady (Dora) said...

I have my thoughts on the evangelical. Not favorable. I will listen to the video later, before Monday.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jenn Jilks said...

I do not know why so many are so evangelical about the whole thing. If you don't want an abortion, don't have one!

I'm reading and writing about this issue, didn't want to post it today! I am livid, as well. My abortion was when I was 18.

They say they are working next on taking away gay marriage. Such horrible people.

Jeanie said...

This is one of those things where don't ven start me. I'm so angry about it, I don't know how to be civil.