Tuesday, May 10, 2022

At the Coffee Shop

We had reason to pick up the kids after school, and our first order of business was to take them to Tims. Visits to the coffee shop were yet another casualty of Covid. It used to be quite the treat for all of us, so we took the opportunity to do it again after more than two years.

Of course, it's a little different now. They're older and deport themselves differently, but it was good to do it again.

In tight quarters, here ↓ are the four of us. The kids are very good at masking in school. Very few kids do, apparently, but I think they mostly do it for us. We all wore masks until we got to the table; mine is still around my neck. I wear a double elastic one, so I don't have to hook it to me ears and interfere with my hearing aids. I can easily raise or lower it without having to remove it entirely.

Here's another of Sue and Jonathan. We knew it would be a difficult photo with the backlight, and JJ had his own vision of how to pose.

Danica and I had better light, and she cooperated more. 

In our subsequent travels, Jonathan spotted this ↓ sign that he felt he must have. He has a problem keeping the youngest stepsister out of his room in dad's house. I am not sure if this will actually help.


While the pandemic had a deep effect, the kids are also older and so we gather less frequently. It was nice to be with them in this way once again.

17 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

How lovely to resume previous outings. I admire that you & Sue do so much to keep such a loving, happy connection with your Grandkids. Jonathan's sign surely will make the point at his Dad's house (col).

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to renew old happy times again. It must be difficult to have step siblings for your grands...blended families are happening more than ever. You and Sue look pretty good for grandparents!

Jeanie said...

I love all these pix and especially that you live close enough that you can pick them up and have this kind of relationship with them!

Margaret said...

Although the get togethers are less frequent, you treasure them more. There is nothing that I like better than sitting around chatting in a coffee shop. (and drinking coffee of course!)

Marie Smith said...

Our periodic visits to Tim’s with the grandkids we’re curtailed by the pandemic too. We hope to get back there within the next two weeks.

Debby said...

LOL. JJ cracks me up. He doesn't need a sign. That was a very effective 'no trespassing' look he gave you in the restaurant.

William Kendall said...

The no trespassing sign says it all.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's a pleasure, a joy to watch them grow!

Red said...

Now I like the no trespassing sign. It'll work unless the step sister is a pre schooler.

gigi-hawaii said...

Danica is so photogenic! She is so beautiful.

PipeTobacco said...

Your cap…. another one I a jealous about! I need to get at least one or two of the patchwork styles! Mine are mostly solid colors.

Do any of the Tim Hortons in Canada also partner with Cold Stone Creamery (an ice cream place)? Here, most of our Tim Hortons are a chimera of both places. With bit in the same building…. too many great options. I could easily want a big coffee, a bagel and cream cheese, a donut, and an ice cream! 🥸

PipeTobacco said...

“Bit” was meant to be “both”, damn autocorrect.

Terra said...

Nice you could return to a family gathering tradition after these two weird years. I like the fierce look and no trespassing sign, I hope he gets the results he wants.

Marcia said...

I didn't comment earlier on this post and now see it's still up. You ok? Not like you to miss a couple of days.

Rita said...

I would have liked a no trespassing sign at his age, too!!!
Nice visit! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice to see you all are able to gather and resume a favorite tradition. The grands are certainly growing up and nice that they still socialize with the older folks. I mean that in the nicest way too.

Jenn Jilks said...

They sure are growing.
Our grandies wear masks at school. Most of the kids do, as well.