Monday, May 16, 2022

In the Pink

Sue’s prompt for last week was Pink, and the secondary, additional prompt for Friday was Backdrop. She  wasn’t sure where to find a pink backdrop, but sure enough there was a blossoming tree by the neighbours' driveway. For the benefit of Sue's requirement, I pretended to be taking a photograph so that, with me as the supposed subject, the pink blossoms could form the background.

It was just a setup, and I hadn’t really intended to take photos, but I did press the shutter button. The photos came out very soft and high key (ie bright), and I sometimes find that effect to be pleasing, and I did like the outcome in this case.



Just in case the expression In the Pink is new to you, this ↓ is its etymology. 

In the pink is an English idiom that means to be at the peak of health, to be in perfect condition. The expression in the pink to mean to be at the peak of health goes back to the 1500s when the word pink did not refer to a color. At that time, the word pink referred to a certain type of flower called dianthus, still referred to as pinks in the English vernacular, today. Pinks, the flowers, were considered the pinnacle of floral design and so the word pink came to mean anything that was the pinnacle of excellence.  https://grammarist.com/idiom/in-the-pink/ 

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

The crabs are certainly putting on a spectacular display right now. I like your close up soft photo. I grow, or at least try to grow, pinks in my garden.

Marie Smith said...

There would be a job to find a pink background outside here these days. The Forsythia is in bloom now. That bright pink is pretty.

Jeanie said...

I love all the photos. Having you in the foreground definitely elevates the tree with subject of interest and the lighting of the ones you did is really lovely, ethereal.

Boud said...

Our pink blossom has been blown away by wind and rain. I'm glad you still have some.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah, same thing as above (comment by Boud) we haven't any of our lovely fruiting tree blossoms left. But the mountain laurel is coming out. It has dainty white blossoms...in bunches. Good to know pink refers to excellent condition!

RedPat said...

Your shots look so delicate. Nice ones.

Vicki Lane said...

I love those pale colors!

Karen said...

The first flower photo with the blue sky background is lovely.
Now then, the shot with you in your pink shirt....

PipeTobacco said...

I love all the images, especially your “soft” photos. Is your shirt considered “pink”
or “red”? Sometimes the demarcation between the two hues can be a bit foggy to me.

In regards to your comment to me, I may likely have some muscle soreness tomorrow because of my new extended length run, but I am thinking with enough water and the single aspirin I ingested, I shouldn’t really feel too much, if any discomfort with what I asked my muscles to do.

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

I adore the flowering trees and your soft photos look like watercolor paintings.

Joanne Noragon said...

Even more pink in Sue's picture is the pink cloth covering the car behind you.

Rita said...

Clever way to hit both challenges. :)

William Kendall said...

Lovely blossoms.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aren't you a font of information!
I loed the photos.

MARY G said...

I love the effect too. Clever you to find it. And I am enjoying Sue's prompts. I knew about the pink quote. Old fart, right?