Saturday, December 19, 2020

A Fitting End to 2020

This has been our Christmas tree since 2005 when we first moved to the Ottawa Valley. It's a small, pre-lit, fibre optic tree that does its job without taking up much room in our smallish place.


However, it hasn't quite made it through its 16th season, which seems like a fitting end to 2020. It had a good start, but then some wires burnt out. Perhaps someone can salvage it at some point, but I am afraid that we will need to go through the rest of the season treeless.

Fortunately, we have many other decorations that you have see here and here (and there are more), so we are not bereft of Christmas cheer.

It is somewhat fortuitous that I took the above photo because I have never photographed the tree seriously before. In actual fact, this is handheld, so not as serious as it could be either. But I think it came out well enough.

At the same time, I also shot a little video. Once again, I was lazy and didn't use a tripod, but it is what it is. In the background the rotating light in the porch is also active.




13 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That tree has served you well for all those years, so the fact that the wiring has failed, while disappointing, is not unexpected after 15 years. Perhaps, you could just admire it without lights for this final year, and celebrate with its replacement next Christmas...a final farewell of sorts.

Jenn Jilks said...

Aw. To everything there is a season!
At least the cat didn't bite it, like our Daisy did that year!

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely light show there inside your living room! I guess the stained glass window is a film transfer...otherwise you've got a beautiful window by itself. I have had several of those smaller than yours trees with lights that change colors...and they've all been allocated to land fills. Enjoy the nights of lights! Oh yes, blogger didn't update your posting on my list, so I had to go searching for you again. You'd think after all these years....

MARY G said...

I rather like a tree without lighting. For some years we had Christmas at our cabin, with no electricity. I hung a lot of mirrored ornaments and the tree sparkled.
(We had propane lights and stove, so the turkey got cooked just fine.)

Margaret said...

Sorry about the tree, but as my parents are fond of saying, "It doesn't owe you anything at that age." I love the gentle rolling blink of the lights--much more calming than many Xmas displays.

Ed said...

We still liberate red cedar trees that grow like weeds here to use as our Christmas tree. They always fail about a month after they go up and get tossed down in the burn pile to complete their cycle.

Christina said...

I am sorry about your tree. I'll send my husband over with his soldering iron, maybe that'll fix it. Having said that, he soldered the wires on our tree lights and now they are bust again.

Marcia said...

I think that's a great life for a tree of that sort. I plugged in our prelit tree and one section near the top doesn't light. Tried changing the tiny fuses but no dice. It looks okay anyway. Not getting another because like yours it fits the space - slender for a corner even though our space here is a bit bigger.

Merry Christmas!

DJan said...

Such a pretty tree! I'm sad that it is no longer lighting up your space, but none of those things last forever. You had a long run with it. :-)

Rita said...

Hopefully next Christmas will be much better and you will be able to find a brand new little tree for a brand new start to life being more normal again. ;)

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope you find another tree just like it!

Rajani Rehana said...

Fabulous blog

Karen said...

Lovely little tree.