Friday, December 25, 2020

Our Eve

For those who are at loose ends today, I present you with a brief recap of our very low key Christmas Eve.

We began with chicken parmesan leftovers during which we began to watch Scrooge.

As I have posted previously, we earlier watched the much older Alistair Sim version, but we always watch both at some point over the holidays. 

Near the end he me The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, a very sombre fellow.

Of course, Scrooge is reborn after his long night and he tells the boy to buy the prize Christmas turkey from the shop around the corner.

And so we have observed the rite of watching A Christmas Carol one more time. If only Charles Dickens could see what has become of his quickly written serial. Mind you, he would be best pleased by the fact that he couldn't watch the as, alas, it is an old and somewhat damaged DVD. We were able to view most of the film, however.

Finally, we readied the stockings for Christmas Day. Hey! How come Sue's is much more loaded than mine?

We shall open stockings etc with the kids over Facetime. In fact, we have probably already done so by he time that you read this. They will later come by for the family exchange of gifts, a meal, and probably many games. (Remember that they have been isolating just so we could have this visit.)

13 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We also watched video on Christmas Eve and our choice was Christmas in Connecticut from our holiday DVD collection. We had previously seen A Christmas Carol but will rewatch it this weekend as we have several versions.

DJan said...

You are one of the highlights for me during this year, when I first found your blog and started following. Already your family feels like old friends to me. Thank you for your wonderful blog and outstanding pictures! :-)

Tabor said...

My grandchildren spend lots of time with their friends, even though masked and outside they still are not keeping isolated. So we will spend the hoiday opening over the phone.

Barbara Rogers said...

I really tried to stay awake to watch my chosen movie last night "It's a Wonderful life" but gave up about the time the snow stopped (9;30). After a day of rain, to have such a blast of freeze was certainly strange. But it just reinforces my determination to stay inside today. Thank you so much for sharing your life and that of your family here...as another comment mentioned. I hope you all have a very happy time today!

troutbirder said...

That story never gets old and last year I took my widowed daughter-in-law to see it performed at the Guthrie theater in Minneapolis. Barb and I had usually tried to attend one play their each year and Deanne had never been there before. There is nothing like the theater to bring a story alive. Even better than a good movie

Ed said...

It's been a few years since I've watched either versions of that film. This year we watched the classic It's a Wonderful Life followed by the Christmas Chronicles simply because they were what was on.

A Cuban In London said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family! :-)

Greetings from London.

Margaret said...

What a lovely routine! I know how much you're all looking forward to the get together. I too was willing to quarantine to see my New York kids, but the whole trip got too complicated. :( The George C. Scott version is my favorite. I'm appalled though that I missed my Alexa Question of the Day which asked how many ghosts were in A Christmas Carol. I fixated on the official ghosts and forgot about Jacob Marley, so I said three instead of four. Gahhh! Enjoy your special times with your family and Merry Xmas to all!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The Alistair Sim version of "The Christmas Carol" is the only one I have ever seen. Seems like you had a good time despite COVID-imposed restrictions, All the best for 2021. May it start with a shot in the arm!

Joanne Noragon said...

I wish you a lovely day with your lovely family.

Rita said...

Those two versions of A Christmas Carol are my favorites! I just watched both my yearly movies today: It's A Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol.
Hope it was a very merry Christmas and you liked what was in your stocking. ;)

William Kendall said...

Chicken parmesan is welcome.

My idea of a Christmas movie is Die Hard.

Debby said...

We watched bits and pieces of 'It's a Wonderful Life'. It was being interrupted every 30 minutes with storm updates, which was frustrating. However, Santa came, but the storm did not, so all's well that ends well.