Friday, December 18, 2020

A Thrill and a Letdown

Shauna dropped by on Wednesday after work to show us her sparkling new Honda CRV. It was still afternoon, but we are very near the solstice, so the dark comes early and lasts long, and, therfore, the pics are lacking.

How exciting for her, but how disappointing the next morning when she had trouble starting it.

It has been very cold which plays havoc on car batteries. Our 11 year old CRV has been kicking up a bit of fuss when trying to start it in the past few days. The neighbour has had issues with her car and a friend with his.

This is a typical winter pattern, but one doesn't expect it in a brand new $6mln (or almost) vehicle, especially not in a Honda. We are on our second CRV, and the first might still have been running if it hadn't been for a significant mishap. The second one we bought used, and it is perking along pretty well in its 11th year.

Apparently, Shauna's woes have something to do with the fob and not the battery. I don't know about these things as ours still starts with an old-fashioned key. Can you imagine? It's like I come from 1947 or something.






12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

One of my sons loves Hondas, and his daughter is now driving his 5 year old one, while he's got a newer model. I don't know which model is which though. Sorry your daughter had problems with her new one!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Years ago, I also had a Honda and thankfully it performed well and I'm often sorry it was replaced but that's all in the very distant passed. Good luck to Shauna on her new vehicle. Hopefully the non-start problem was just a minor issue. My 2007 Jeep Liberty still uses just a key to start it, so I'm definitely old school as well.

Ed said...

In case she isn't aware, even if the fob is out of batteries, one can still start a push button start car. Just hold the fob up next to the start button and press the start button at the same time. I've found a lot of people don't know this trick but it seems to be universal across brands so that you aren't left with a fob with dead batteries and a car that won't start.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The more complex the technology, the more difficult to resolve the problem it seems. The sister of a friend of ours was without her car (again a Honda), for two weeks, something to do with the fob not talking to the car computer correctly. It was a bit of a nightmare for her, and now she lives in fear of travelling outside urban areas in case it were to happen again. A good old fashioned key start may be the best thing after all.

DJan said...

I have a 19-year-old Honda Civic with no bells and whistles. It's been my constant friend and never breaks down (knock wood!) but I'm not sure I would be happy with a new car, with all those extra things that might go wrong! I hope it's resolved quickly. Hondas are good cars, I think. :-)

Margaret said...

My 2018 Subaru has a key, but John's 2019 has a fob. Cars that won't start are terrifying since after that, you're never sure if you can trust them. Hope there was a logical and fixable reason.

Red said...

Technology is great until it doesn't work. I have a 2014 CRV.

William Kendall said...

Quite a car.

gigi-hawaii said...

We just stick with Hyundai Kona SUV. No problem at all.

Joanne Noragon said...

So glad I cannot afford a new car.

Rita said...

The cold weather is hard on cars, for sure. I hope she doesn't have any more troubles with this new car. Looks really nice! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

What a disappointment!
That reminds me, I should bring the battery in for the lawn tractor. Whoopsie.