Saturday, December 05, 2020

A Photo Got Noticed

A week ago, I posted a winter photo on our local photo fb group page looking across the river from a park with town hall centered well in the composition.

It is not a new photo, almost 4 years old in fact. I have printed it and displayed it previously locally and posted it on this blog way back when: From a Snowy Park.

But when I recently revisited the photo, I was able to give it a little more punch and then posted it on our local fb group which didn't exist back then.

My goodness! The likes and comments exploded as never before with 30 comments, 241 likes, and 17 shares. That's not a huge response comparatively speaking to other venues, but it is for our local group of limited size.

The town noticed it and asked me if they could use it on their website and promised to credit me, and I agreed. They have paid me for some work in the past, so I was glad to grant them this gratis.

I hadn't bothered to check the site, but I expected them to use it as a header or in a thumbnail.

Then, one of our group members contacted me. She had seen my photo there and was concerned to know that they had asked my permission. I assured her that they had, of course, but appreciated that she thought to notify me.

After some chatting/messaging with her, I decided that I should go and have a look.

I was more than a little surprised to see not a header or thumbnail but the photo covering the screen. And they did leave my signature visible, or most of it.

Carleton Place Website

I hope the post doesn't come across as braggadocious, for I am just sharing from my life, or some of it.




22 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Way to go AC. It is an exceptional photo! Love it.

Marcia said...

At first glance I thought I was looking at a castle photo. It is lovely. And it looks incredible on the town website. Good for you.

Jean Winnipeg said...

Great photo and how lovely to get some recognition! What a well deserved boost!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good work. As a creative individual, of course putting yourself out to the public is a bit daunting, because as just a regular guy, that's not your nature. You work is what is being recognized...and it is indeed beautiful! Congrats on your place in your word.

PipeTobacco said...

That is truly wonderful.... the photograph.... and the recognition you received too!!!! So nice to get positive accolades!!!!!

PipeTobacco

Ed said...

It always feel nice to have your work appreciated. Well done!

Tabor said...

Wonderful!! I had one of my photos published in a local magazine, but it was with many others on that page. I did get a lot of likes on a photo-painting that I posted in local photography group. I only have 113 people I have befriended on FB (I keep it low on purpose). I do love the composition and drama of you photo.

Margaret said...

The photo is magical and I can see why they wanted to use it!

MARY G said...

It is your quality of work that really shines. Glad it was noticed and appreciated. You deserve it.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very nice. I like the lighting.

DJan said...

It is gorgeous and looks terrific as the background on their website. Congratulations! :-)

Red said...

I like to know when people have successes.

Joanne Noragon said...

That took my breath away. Well done.

Doris Potter said...

The photo is beautiful and so nicely composed - no wonder they wanted to use it! Congratulations!

Rita said...

It is beautiful! Classic. :)

Kay said...

That IS a gorgeous photo and you deserve all the accolades you receive.

dellgirl said...

Your photo is absolutely beautiful, as usual. Congratulations on the recognition you received. Way-to-Go-AC! Thumbs up and 5 stars to you on a job well done.

Jenn Jilks said...

You work hard at your craft. You should be proud.
With my new eyes I'm still relying on point and shoot.
It would be good if the town posted a 'used with permission' message, as many photographers are dealing with theft of intellectual property issues.

Debby said...

That photograph is simply perfect.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Kudos to you, John, I checked out the town’s website as well and you have done it proud. Also nuce to receive credit for your talents.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is indeed a fine photograph and you have every right to express this delight in the public recognition it has brought. Congratulations!

Blondi Blathers said...

That's the front of a Christmas card if ever there was one. Beautiful. -Kate